Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Chat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    2K is owned by Take-Two.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I played a couple of games of Madden and I feel like I got a pretty good grasp on the new features.

The biggest change they advertised is the true player motion. It has some impact, but nothing that I would call completely game changing. If you are running with a smaller running back or receiver that relies on quickness, like a Christian McCaffrey or Tyreek Hill, you can feel his speed. You can make quicker cuts and jukes, but you also stumble from contact fairly easily. On the flip side, if you are running after the catch with a big bodie tight end like Gronk or a power back like Lynch, you feel they aren't as fast or have the ability to make the quick cut, but they stay steady and retain their movement easier after contact. You can still pull off finesse moves with bigger guys and the smaller guys can still run a defender over, but the changes do feel natural and vary the game enough to be enjoyable.

There are a couple of issues with the addition, most I have noticed on kick and punt returns. A few times my returner will try to get a running start before fielding a kick, but due to the true player motion, he picks up too much speed and runs past the catch point. Watching players who rely on speed get up to top speed without the ball is almost laughable, because their legs move faster than their bodies. The weird animations are still an issue. Two guys will jump for a ball and one will clip through the other. I had a play where I tried to hurdle a defender and he went high on the tackle, and my runner's knee went through his head, but the defender still made the tackle. Sometimes the sideline shots glitch out. Like I had an instance where my coach's arms turned into some weird spaghetti noodle things and flailed around while he tried to clap.

Some of the old issues still pop up. Defenders still leap around like they are on the moon to defend passes. AI QBs still have unreal scrambling ability, and their throw on the run ability seems perfect. I've lost track of how many times I'll force a QB from the pocket and a receiver magically gets open for them. The camera also tends to really not know how to handle these plays. It tends to zoom out when the QB scrambles, then quickly zoom in on the intended receiver when the throw is made, giving you almost no time to react.

The AI defense also times all their hits on receivers just right. I don't think i've yet to complete a pass where my receiver took a hit. This presents some issues, because like I said, even when you have a receiver in space the defenders have the uncanny ability to knock the ball down. I've only thrown one pick through six games, so it isn't a complete game breaker, but passing has its challenges.

Another issue I noticed is that often times, when running between the tackles, your back will manage to find the one stray foot to trip over and stumble to the ground. Making sure you don't hold down sprint right from the moment of the hand off does help, but even trying to let the blocks develop doesn't often help.

The presentation has had some changes, most for the better. There are more breaks in the action for the announcers to talk about various things, but you can skip over them. The pregame presentation has new animations and player profiles. They even have little speeches for backup QBs, which is a nice little addition. Post game, they show a short social media style slideshow of your top plays, complete with number of likes.

Franchise has had some changes, mostly for the better. You can now customize the draft class. The coaches also each have their own offensive and defense scheme, which give boosts to your players if they are a scheme fit. Upgrading players is also much simpler. Instead of upgrading each individual stat, you upgrade a stat group based on players style. Like when you go to upgrade receivers, you can choose to upgrade the group for different receiver traits like possession, slot, or deep threat, in addition to a few secondary skills like return skills. Each player has a player type, which you can change if you upgrade a certain group enough, but upgrading the group associated with their player type is cheaper. So you could turn a slot receiver into a possession receiver, but it would be a bit costly.

Ultimate Team, which I didn't spend much time with because it exists only as a pay to win cash grab, has been streamlined a bit. You can choose to play the next challenge without returning to the main Ultimate Team menu. I hear there are more options to play locally, without going online, but like I said, I didn't spent more than twenty or thirty minutes here.

I do think this year the game got enough of an upgrade that I will buy it eventually, but it isn't something I need right away. It still has some of the issues that have plagued Madden for years, but the new features are enough for this to be a step in the right direction.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think Madden is alright so far, but it does feel harder to win games. Last year I was demolishing every team on pro and on all-pro could win most of my games, this year I'm getting demolished on all-pro and having competitive games on pro. Also noticed it's a lot harder to trade for young players in franchise mode, but that might be for the better as in past years there was times you could give up crappy players and a mid round pick and get a stud young player, this is more realistic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skairipa View Post
    I think Madden is alright so far, but it does feel harder to win games. Last year I was demolishing every team on pro and on all-pro could win most of my games, this year I'm getting demolished on all-pro and having competitive games on pro. Also noticed it's a lot harder to trade for young players in franchise mode, but that might be for the better as in past years there was times you could give up crappy players and a mid round pick and get a stud young player, this is more realistic.
    Yeah I feel like they really ramped up the difficulty for all non rookie levels, at least when you are on offense. I played my first few games on Pro, my norm, and found I was settling for field goals more than in years past. Some of that may be due to Indy not being a great team, but I only had one game over 200 yards passing. Even when I played a game with the Eagles just for shits and giggles, Washington's defense was really playing me tough. On defense, I do feel like getting to the QB is harder, but aside from those weird scrambling plays I feel like I can still play good D. With Philly I picked off Alex Smith three times, and with Indy I held Dalton to just over a hundred yards and picked off a potential touchdown pass, and aside from a twenty plus yard run from Joe Mixon where he broke a tackle, I held the run game in check. I also managed a safety in each of the first three games I played so at the very least it does feel harder on offense. When I switched down to rookie just to see how that was, I beat Miami 28-0.

The trading in franchise does feel more difficult/realistic though, I agree. I decided to start one with the Titans because Mariotta is fun to play with, but he has a fairly high injury rate so I wanted a backup QB who was equally as mobile. I tried to trade Blaine Gabbert (70 overall) to Baltimore for RG3 (71 overall) and despite Baltimore having Flacco and Jackson each with a 79 overall, they had zero interest so I tried including picks. Nothing. I'm sure I could have overpaid, but I feel like me trying to give up two 6ths or a 5th and 7th to swap backup QBs was stupid enough already. In 18, I was one year into franchise and I was able to trade a 4th and 6th round pick to Kansas City for Chris Jones, who was an 86 overall DE who was only 24 and still on his rookie contract. Even with the trade negotiator perk, that should have never happened.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I really miss the NCAA games. Those were better than Madden. But no, thanks Ed O'Bannon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    Yeah I feel like they really ramped up the difficulty for all non rookie levels, at least when you are on offense. I played my first few games on Pro, my norm, and found I was settling for field goals more than in years past. Some of that may be due to Indy not being a great team, but I only had one game over 200 yards passing. Even when I played a game with the Eagles just for shits and giggles, Washington's defense was really playing me tough. On defense, I do feel like getting to the QB is harder, but aside from those weird scrambling plays I feel like I can still play good D. With Philly I picked off Alex Smith three times, and with Indy I held Dalton to just over a hundred yards and picked off a potential touchdown pass, and aside from a twenty plus yard run from Joe Mixon where he broke a tackle, I held the run game in check. I also managed a safety in each of the first three games I played so at the very least it does feel harder on offense. When I switched down to rookie just to see how that was, I beat Miami 28-0.

The trading in franchise does feel more difficult/realistic though, I agree. I decided to start one with the Titans because Mariotta is fun to play with, but he has a fairly high injury rate so I wanted a backup QB who was equally as mobile. I tried to trade Blaine Gabbert (70 overall) to Baltimore for RG3 (71 overall) and despite Baltimore having Flacco and Jackson each with a 79 overall, they had zero interest so I tried including picks. Nothing. I'm sure I could have overpaid, but I feel like me trying to give up two 6ths or a 5th and 7th to swap backup QBs was stupid enough already. In 18, I was one year into franchise and I was able to trade a 4th and 6th round pick to Kansas City for Chris Jones, who was an 86 overall DE who was only 24 and still on his rookie contract. Even with the trade negotiator perk, that should have never happened.
    I'm terrible at playing defense for the most part so I don't know if defense is really harder, I sim defense now usually because I feel like my defense does much better when it doesn't have me to fuck it up.

I was playing around last night in my Cleveland franchise and tried so hard to bring Odell to Cleveland, but Josh Gordon, a 1st and a 3rd wasn't even half way on the trade meter if I remember right so I gave up on that. But pretty much any young star including top rookies are hard to pry away from their current teams.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone have the new Madden? How is it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How are we not talking about Cyber Punk 2077 up in here? This game is 40% of why I still have the will to live right now.

Long video, worth watching the whole thing if you have an hour to kill.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd bet money that Cyber Punk won't live up to the hype for most people. I say that not because it looks bad or I anticipate it being bad. CD Projekt Red will deliver, as they do, but the game is being hyped up so much. This is fairly common among gamers though I feel. They put things on a pedestal and then bitch when games are 9.75 instead of a full 10.

10. Likes Fallout liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How are we not talking about one of the most hyped games for the last couple of years? Spider-Man PS4 releases Friday and the reviews, so far have been amazing. I've been hyped for this game for 2 years. Literally can't wait for it to come out. I haven't been anticipating a game this much for a long time.

Was hoping it was going to be a GOTY candidate but it doesn't seem like it's going to live up to the unbelievable standard that God of War set. Oh well, it's still going to be amazing and we still have Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and so many others to go. Great year for gaming.

Thread Information