Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018 Thread

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MLB 2018 Thread

Today is opening day!!! Who's your favorite(s)? What are your predictions for the season?

2. Likes Wildcat66, jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll make an argument for Yankees and Nationals being in this year's WS. Not only do the Nats have one of the best overall hitters in the league in Bryce Harper, they also have an ace in Stephen Strasburg and bolstered their offensive line somewhat with Matt Reynolds, Ryan Raburn, Matt Adams and Howard Kendrick. Add in Joaquin Benoit to the mix and you have a potential contender on your hands.

As for the Yankees, what really is there to say? The baby-boomers have captured the hearts of New York and Giancarlo Stanton is only likely to make them even more daunting, there's also the pitching staff which has been rejuvenated from a few years back. There are also players like Brett Gardner, Didi Gregorius and Neil Walker that are going to be crucial in the outfield, they'll have to bang out some incredible plays and they have the skill to do it.

In the end, i'd say it's a 6 game series against Yankees and Nationals with Yankees taking the win.

Other Contenders:

AL Central:
    Cleveland Indians (Yet another deep run into the post season, carried by Edwin Encarnación, Jason Kipnis and Corey Kluber.)

AL West:
    Houston Astros (Unlikely to regress much, players are still young, extremely talented, very easy to root for. Almost a guarantee unless things go horribly wrong.)

AL Wildcard:
    Los Angeles Angels (Shohei Ohtani looks like he'll be a good addition to a team that has the offense but is in need of pitching, a serious upgrade in the hitting as well, now sporting Upton, Cozart and Kinsler. A scary team and my third choice to make the world series)

Baltimore Orioles (Likely their last shot for a major run given Manny Manchado's contract expires after this season. The key is if Colby Rasmus has a revival this season and Chris Davis continues to produce homers, if they can do that, they have a chance.)

NL Central:
    Chicago Cubs (Pound for pound the best overall team in the league right now, sporting fantastic offensive contributors like Rizzo, Bryant, Heyward and Contreras amongst others. The pitching core has recovered after a mediocre season at best last year and now sports Yu Darvish. Expect them to have another deep run and be the second pick if the Nats fail to make the WS)

NL East:
    Los Angeles Dodgers (Pretty much everyone from last season is still here, and even with the loss of Darvish, they still have a strong pitching staff led by Clayton Kershaw. The hitting core is only going to get better as they get older and Matt Kemp will help to bolster them. Do not be shocked if they make the world series again.)

NL Wildcard:
    Atlanta Braves (This one is an absolute crapshoot, but the potential is there for the Braves. Freddie Freeman is an absolute stud, Nick Markasis may have another strong season and the pitching staff seems pretty good overall. They won't last long, but they should be ok in the long run)

San Francisco Giants (These guys went all out to ensure their season isn't as dreadful as last years, Evan Longoria and Andrew McCutchen have come to town and are looking to whip this team back into shape and Tony Watson will add a bit of depth to the pitching staff, desperately needed because they have few really good pitchers after Madison Bumgarner.)

With that said, here's how the playoffs look.

AL WC:

Los Angeles Angels beat Baltimore Orioles

NL WC:

San Fransisco Giants beat Atlanta Braves

ALDS:

New York Yankees beat Cleveland Indians in 3 games.

Houston Astros beat Los Angeles Angels in 4 games.

NLDS:

Washington Nationals beat San Francisco Giants in 4 games.

Chicago Cubs beat Los Angeles Dodgers in 5 games.

ALCS:

New York Yankees beat Houston Astros in 7 games.

NLCS:

Washington Nationals beat Chicago Cubs in 6 games.

4. Likes jmt225 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    George Springer will be the greatest player ever when it's all said and done

6. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To be real honest, as long as the Yankees are not involved in the World Series, everything will be great! I got the Red Sox and the Dodgers in this year's World series. I know, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but that's what I'm sticking with.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Braves had an exciting start to the season, but I'm more confused about the Phillies' pitching decisions than anything.

9. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Stanton of the Yankees started his Yankees career with a boom yesterday.

11. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Braves are crashing hard back to reality tonight.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yankees aren't starting so well with so many injuries already. Not only that, but our bullpen has looked weak. Hoping Jordan Montgomery rights the ship with a win tonight. Boone, so far, has been a little Girardi-esque with his managerial positions. I really hope this doesn't continue and he makes better decisions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Redsox starting pitching is just lights out so far! I like that they don't wanna overwork Sale as much this year as he's the key to making it far in the post season, and Price could be too based off what he did at the end of the year last year. I'm hoping the pitching only gets better once they get a couple guys off the DL.

On the batting side despite his slow start so far I'm really looking forward to seeing what JD Martinez does this year, Fenway should be the perfect home stadium for him. I'm really hoping to see Christian Vazquez or Blake Reinhart really establish themselves as deserving of being the every day starting catcher this year, both have good potential and Swihart had a really good spring that could lead to him finally not looking like a bust.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    How about those Red Sox? other than getting flat out stuck in a no hitter, these Red Sox have been on fire, and have not missed a beat.

Thread Information