Thread: Why Roman Reigns Is An All-Time Great

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why Roman Reigns Is An All-Time Great

It's practically a cliche to hate on Roman Reigns at this point. In terms of his perception, he's the Phantom Menace of wrestlers in all essence, reviled by most purists of the product, but generally accepted by the more casual wrestling audience. This isn't a new phenomenon in wrestling either, one only has to look at John Cena, and even beyond that to the likes of Hogan and Luger to see a similar trend; fans who have a better understanding of wrestling's scripted nature generally tend to despise the chipper babyfaces, and love the despicable heels. But what if I told you that I think Reigns and the treatment of his character is almost single-handedly rewriting the long dead tapestry of kayfabe?

You probably think I'm crazy, but hear me out. The revilement Reigns receives currently would be enough to make even Cena at his most hated blush. We've had someone throw a briefcase at his head during a house show (which I'm not in anyway defending, but it's a testament to the animosity Reigns can achieve), we've had Reigns being booed despite the endorsement and support of one of the most famous and beloved wrestlers and celebrities on the planet. And of course, we have this gem:

This is a level of hatred not really seen on a regular basis since the days of old that Cornette and his coterie love to reminisce about. And WWE, for all their incompetence at times, are far from stupid when it gets down to it. They know Reigns is extremely unpopular amongst a large demographic. They also know Reigns is a extremely useful asset to their bottom line in more ways than one. Suffice to say, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be in the position he is right now, and AJ Styles would probably be the #1 guy on WWE television right now. And this is something that I think a lot of people miss, and something that despite Styles' talent, he and a lot of other wrestlers do not have: The ability to act as a pivot.

What do I mean by a pivot? Well, let's watch this clip, one week after the yard promo:

I remember watching this on live TV, and when I saw Roman kissing up to Undertaker after a perfect heel promo the week before, I rolled my eyes. Seriously? They want to keep him as a face after he essentially retired The Undertaker? Thankfully, what happened next was perhaps the greatest star-making segment since the Pipebomb or the Nexus invasion. The pop after "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!" is one of the biggest pops I've heard in any era, let alone the current era. Braun Strowman, while someone I always liked and is talented in his own right, was often dismissed as just another big man, a pet project of Vince McMahon. But through this promo, and through his work with Reigns, Braun rose to become perhaps the most beloved wrestler on the Raw roster right now.

But when you think about that, it's incredible. If there's one thing the IWC love to do apart from shit on the flagship wrestler, it's to generally show disinterest for the big men, and cheer for the former indy workers. If Braun did this to an internet darling, let's say, AJ Styles or Kevin Owens, the IWC would be almost universally livid. And as I said, Braun, for all his talents and personality, boils down to being another wrestling big guy that the fans wouldn't care too much about if not used very carefully.

This is where I think the WWE have actually made a covertly genius move. By identifying the strongest emotion from the IWC demographic (the hatred of Reigns, a negative emotion), they are using that to their strength. It's the Gorgeous George/Buddy Rogers/Ric Flair mentality: People hate these wrestlers passionately, and want to see these wrestlers get beat up, to the point that the audience will accept anyone that is up to the task. Enter Braun Strowman, a behemoth of a man, and clearly a guy Vince is high on, to challenge Reigns. The giant of a man is getting monster pops even now that his feud with Reigns is over for the time being, and that's entirely because of his prior work with Roman Reigns establishing him as a top-level guy, even in the eyes of the most stubborn of the IWC.

This is where I get to the re-writing of kayfabe side of things. People are buying so much into Roman's deliberately manufactured push to the stratosphere as the next face of the company, and his reputation as a locker room leader nowadays that they're buying into the hype of what goes on behind the scenes. We're at a point where we've almost come full circle from the Rock N Wrestling era, cheering the big, larger than life Herculean once more; because we think they're the underdogs.

The general mentality for wrestling throughout its inception, is to cheer for the underdog. In days old, we booed the monster heels because of their obvious material advantage over their competition, and we booed the deceitful heels for using foul play as a means to claim victory. We cheered the faces because they were at a disadvantage; we wanted to see good beat evil of course, but we wanted to see the underdog prevail above all else. With the inception of the IWC, and the general trend of good guys prevailing in the end, something changed. The internet knew the tricks of the trade, and the ways professional wrestling worked their audience. People like Cena, moulded in a similar vein to the Hogans of the world, were being booed because they were no longer the underdogs, they were the favourites. As the IWC grew, so did the animosity towards this culture. This is probably why you get the easy to mock but simply misguided marks wanting the Attitude Era to come back; because they think the problem is to do with the child-friendly programming. But quite simply, during Cena's time on top, WWE were not operating on close to the same wavelength as the growing IWC.

But through attempting to replicate Cena with Roman Reigns, WWE must have realised something. They had a tool they could use to their advantage, and not just to appease the younger fanbase and female audience (which mind you, are still important demographics to move merchandise, and Reigns is good at that). Reigns could also be used to work with talent WWE wanted to manufacture into top stars in their own right, and the IWC would buy into it, solely for their hatred of Reigns and that he represented peak corporate manufacture. The IWC pride itself on being smart, and being ahead of the curve, and having the correct perception of reality, but most of them are in actuality, probably the most clueless people watching the product right now. Their perception of reality is being warped by the day by WWE's strategy to present an alternative reality.

To give you a recent example of this, earlier this year, Booker T and Corey Graves began having an online, off-air feud after Booker T lost his commentating gig to Jonathan Coachman. This culminated in Booker T threatening to beat up Corey Graves. While you had the people who immediately jumped on the "It's a work" bandwagon with little to no basis in their opinion so they could try and look cynically smart if it turned out to be a work, a lot of people bought into this and it got people talking: Did Booker T and Corey Graves really hate each other? Was Booker being serious about whether he wanted to beat up Graves? It generated a lot of buzz between two people who in the grand scheme of things, are far from the most important in the wrestling business now. But when both men revealed it was a work, almost everyone immediately stopped caring about it. People love talking about reality when it comes to wrestling, just look at all of the stories that came out about Enzo Amore's backstage behaviour(which I'm not saying were fake at all to be very clear). That got a lot of people talking about what happens behind the scenes in the WWE nowadays, when we, the audience, have very little to work with; even Meltzer and co are not exactly reliable on this kind of thing in the grand scheme of things.

WWE knows what that the IWC prides itself on the knowledge it can accumulate through the dirtsheets and interacting with one another online, and WWE have almost undoubtedly started using that pride for their own benefit. And Roman Reigns is WWE's avatar, their champion on this front, making the IWC buy into their perceived reality, when in actuality, they're being worked harder than the casual viewers. It's still early days, but I'm almost certain WWE is using Roman Reigns as essentially a means to re-create kayfabe in the eyes of the hardcore fan, a task once thought impossible.

And that is why Roman Reigns is an all-time great, and is only reaching new heights by the day. He's the right man in the right time, much like Hogan and Austin were, to signal a major change in wrestling's presentation. Hogan was the figure who made wrestling popular to a mainstream audience, Austin was the figure helped wrestling evolve into a must-watch television drama, and while it's still very much early days, Roman is the figure who is resurrecting the long-dead art of kayfabe.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't help but think you're giving Vince and Co. too much credit. While I do agree with you that they capitalized on the hate to build up Braun, generally speaking I truly believe Vince wants Roman to be the top guy that everybody tunes in to see. I think what happens after his Wrestlemania coronation will be very interesting. One would assume they're going to put him into a program with Braun... but what about after that? Does he just crush every foe until his next injury? Will he be used to build up the next big thing?

If you're right and Roman is used as the heat magnet to build new stars then it could be a great time period. But history has shown that Vince likes to have a charismatic face of the company to generate viewers - i.e., Hogan, Stone Cold, Rock, Cena. I truly believe Roman is meant to be next in line and nothing more, but he simply does not have the charisma to do it. So I'm anticipating record lows during his reign.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I can't help but think you're giving Vince and Co. too much credit. While I do agree with you that they capitalized on the hate to build up Braun, generally speaking I truly believe Vince wants Roman to be the top guy that everybody tunes in to see. I think what happens after his Wrestlemania coronation will be very interesting. One would assume they're going to put him into a program with Braun... but what about after that? Does he just crush every foe until his next injury? Will he be used to build up the next big thing?

If you're right and Roman is used as the heat magnet to build new stars then it could be a great time period. But history has shown that Vince likes to have a charismatic face of the company to generate viewers - i.e., Hogan, Stone Cold, Rock, Cena. I truly believe Roman is meant to be next in line and nothing more, but he simply does not have the charisma to do it. So I'm anticipating record lows during his reign.
    I think Vince's original plan was to get Roman on top without a hitch, or at worse, with the levels of resistance Cena received, but with the continued growth of the IWC, that's basically impossible. Vince really tried, I give him credit for that, but it failed. I think around the time when Roman beat Triple H at Wrestlemania 32 is when they began to realise things were going seriously wrong; Reigns finally had the big win on the main stage, and the fans were less than impressed. This would explain why Rollins beat Reigns mostly clean at MITB 2016, and Reigns was left with Rusev at Summerslam, while Finn Balor main-evented (after beating Reigns clean on Raw to get there of course). It would also explain Reigns' less dominant booking since then, especially in 2017, but the audience remained unpersuaded.

Reigns as a talent is not as charismatic as Hogan, Stone Cold, Rock or Cena, but I think in this instance, it works to his advantage. If he was, he'd be nowhere near as useful as a pivot; the problem I had with Rock's 2003 heel run was that Rock was too good at being a heel, he was a guy you loved to hate rather than a guy you just hated because of how good he was on the mic, and a lot of heels have that problem nowadays, especially since the IWC loves to cheer those kinds of people.

As for record lows, WWE recorded its best financial quarter ever in the last quarter that was recorded (Q4 2017 I think?). I'm not going to act like Reigns was responsible for all of that (I could make the argument he wasn't even the main driving factor for it), but WWE is not losing anymore momentum doing what it is doing right now; this is easily a more prosperous time period for the company than the PG Era in terms of the corporate bottom line, despite ratings dwindling in 2017.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I couldn't agree more.

I'm a big Roman Reigns fan and deeply appreciate his talent.

He brings a 'big fight' atmosphere every time he's out there, his matches always deliver, he has a tremendous look, and he works as hard as anyone.

That said, I understand why crowds boo him, even if I disagree with it. I've wanted Reigns to turn heel for what seems like forever now. Like with Cena though, WWE just refuses to pull the trigger on it.

Maybe Wrestlemania 34 will be the day, one can only hope. I just know that if it ever does happen, Reigns will finally then start getting the respect he deserves from wrestling fans, as stupid as that is.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't think he's an all time great, I don't think it's beyond the possibility that he becomes one, but that's it. His matches are always good, but never amazing, he has no iconic moments and hasn't really had any feuds that will be remembered for ever. He beat Kane's record in the Royal Rumble, but in a way that was completely telegraphed, which I think is part of the problem.

Reigns feels like he is on train tracks and without sufficient booking to raise interest levels, I just don't think anything about his career will be anything to write home about in 25 years. He's a big deal, sure, but he's the Batista of this generation, not the Cena, and I think that the sooner he's booked that way (and not necessarily as a heel) the better it will be for him.

Reigns is good, but he's not the face of the generation, but for the moment, he's all they have.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This still doesn't change the fact that Roman was not on the level they wanted him to he back at WM 31 and 32.

When I look at Roman I see a guy constantly improving. His promo last night was excellent (Elimination Chamber). They way he walks around is great. The way he behaves is awesome. AND IT'S A SHAME. Because had they waited, NOW would have been the time to say: Hey, here's the new face of the WWE. And if it had happened now, people would have accepted Roman because now Roman seems ready for that spot. They rushed HIM.

But yes of course, Roman, just like Cena before him is a great tool to create big babyfaces. Like you said, the reason Strowman got so over was because of Roman Reigns.

However here's another problem. Roman has now reached the "I'm ready for the big leagues position". The problem is that they guy already has 4 main events in a row ( probably), already has defeated every legend they had. Already has the Rumble. So how do you move forward? HE HAS FACED AND DEFEATED EVERYBODY. And he did that before he reached his peak. So what do you do now??

It will be interesting to see what the main event of WM 35 will be. Are they giving Roman yet another one? And if yes, against who? Or do you start building up someone else and begin placing that someone against part-timers again, while keeping Roman and Cena as special attractions?
    Last edited by DNA 2.0; 02-26-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Here's my problem with Reigns at the moment.

We've been getting an absolute monster of a push with Braun Strowman. He's been one of the most dominant guys in the company, and he has been destroying people left and right. But he loses to Reigns in the Chamber when by all basic booking decisions, we should be getting Braun vs Lesnar at Mania to give Braun the title and decisively say "he's the new monster". But instead we get Reigns against Lesnar, and Reigns gets his Mania crowning event AGAIN. It's just so tiring. You could hear the life just get sucked out of the crowd when he won last night. It wasn't pretty. They're going to give us this stupid underdog booking when the guy retired Undertaker (as far as we can tell). It's just pointless. He's in the big leagues, he's been made one of their biggest names, and they still think they need to make him an underdog.

As a wrestler, ignore all of that, because I do think Reigns is one of the best wrestling talents of this generation and it gets overshadowed by his booking. I can't think of a single Roman Reigns match where I hated it because of his wrestling.

Really, the problem with him just boils down to the fact that after a while, continuously booking someone like Reigns as this underdog going into the biggest matches of his career doesn't work. You can't tell me that he's the big dog that beat Taker at Mania while simultaneously telling me that he's the underdog against Brock Lesnar. It just doesn't make sense.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazprom View Post
    I don't think he's an all time great, I don't think it's beyond the possibility that he becomes one, but that's it. His matches are always good, but never amazing, he has no iconic moments and hasn't really had any feuds that will be remembered for ever. He beat Kane's record in the Royal Rumble, but in a way that was completely telegraphed, which I think is part of the problem.

Reigns feels like he is on train tracks and without sufficient booking to raise interest levels, I just don't think anything about his career will be anything to write home about in 25 years. He's a big deal, sure, but he's the Batista of this generation, not the Cena, and I think that the sooner he's booked that way (and not necessarily as a heel) the better it will be for him.

Reigns is good, but he's not the face of the generation, but for the moment, he's all they have.
    Haven't heard the Batista analogy before... but I think that's spot on. My biggest problem w Roman's booking is missing out on other opportunities. Because Roman MUST be the one to dethrone Brock, creative totally missed on 2 organic pushes. Samoa Joe's brief feud w Brock was fantastic. They should've struck while the iron was hot even for a brief title run. And now Braun - no doubt he should be the one to vanquish the Beast at WM. Last time they failed to capitalize on a situation like this - Ryback. And he never recovered. Hopefully Braun & Joe have a better fate.

Thread Information