View Poll Results: Who is the best boxer in the 'Rocky' universe?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apollo Creed

4 66.67%
  • Rocky Balboa

0 0%
  • Clubber Lang

0 0%
  • Ivan Drago

1 16.67%
  • Tommy "The Machine" Gunn

0 0%
  • Mason "The Line" Dixon

0 0%
  • Adonis Creed

1 16.67%
  • Victor Drago

0 0%
  • Other: Am I forgetting someone?

0 0%

Thread: Who Is The Best Boxer In The "Rocky" Universe??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who Is The Best Boxer In The "Rocky" Universe??

Given that the Creed II is out now and few movies can a person pumped up like a 'Rocky' movie; I thought I'd make this thread discussing who is the best of the boxers in the "Rocky" universe. My choice is........

Apollo Creed:

The Master of Disaster, The Count of Monte Fisto, the King of Sting, the Dancing Destroyer, etc. Apollo Creed is the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world when the first Rocky movie started. Due to his scheduled opponent being injured, Creed decided to give an unknown boxer a shot at the title to appease all the fans and investors who had put money into that fight. He chose a club fighter based strictly off of the marketability of his name, 'The Italian Stallion'. That fighter ended up being one Rocky Balboa and the rest, as they say is history. He fought Rocky twice and in both fights he stood toe to toe with Balboa. In the final round of fight 2, Apollo was well ahead in points as he had dominated that entire fight, however, he was determined to shut up the critics who said he was a paper champion because he couldn't beat some ole club fighter. So he tried to knock Rocky out and that ended up being his downfall. Instead Rocky knocked him out and became the champ. Apollo is was very skilled in all areas of boxing. He had speed, technique, power, and smarts. That's why I think he was the best boxer in the 'Rocky' Universe.

What do you guys think? Is there another boxer in the 'Rocky' Universe who is better than Apollo? If so tell us who and why.

2. Likes Jack-Hammer, Spidey liked this post
    I went with Apollo Creed due to Creed's overall ability. Creed is basically a boxer's boxer in that he actually knew how to fight whereas Rocky, at least until his miraculous transformation in Rocky III, fought the Philadelphia Style, which was based more on being able to take punishment than skill. Balboa's style was that he'd take 10 punches just for the sake of landing 1 and, of course in movie logic, that 1 would equal or exceed those 10 shots that he'd gotten.

I'd put Ivan Drago 2nd as he had the skill, probably not as much as Creed, but he more than made up for it in size, strength and speed thanks to inhuman training regiments and, of course, steroids.

Rocky IV is really where the series went off the rails as Creed was dominated by Drago, yet Rocky was somehow able to best him. Rocky was roughly the same physical age as Creed and I can only guess that, again, using movie logic, that having Creed actually train him to fight more like himself was coupled with his inate toughness and it allowed him to win. Didn't make a lick actual sense really but this is very much during the time when Stallone had become a major and consistent box office draw, therefore he had the pull to insist that virtually every film he starred in had him portraying someone that was basically capable of superhuman feats of toughness.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

4. Likes Spidey liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good topic

Mason Dixon's record is fairly impressive compared to everyone else, but I think the whole point of Rocky Balboa was to show how superficial his championship wins were if a 50+ year old suffering head trauma can go the distance with him. Can't beat the classics, you know. From what I remember, he didn't have much drawing power either.

Clubber Lang also sports an impressive record, but again his weaknesses are exploited in Rocky III. Dude went the Million Dollar Baby route of being a heavy hitter with little to no defense about him. His inexperience in taking a barrage of punches did him in, as well as being a hothead. Even though Rocky lost quite a bit, The Italian Stallion keeps his cool and he definitely didn't have a glass jaw. Granted, Clubber's ability to give Rocky his most decisive loss makes him at least #2 in my books, and it was for the belt.

Ivan Drago was on the juice. Fuck him.

Tommy Gunn was overshadowed in every possible way. His predecessor was considered a paper champion, the fans turned on him because he won so easily, they wanted Rocky, etc. Kinda in the same ballpark as Mason, except Rocky beat Gunn.

I haven't watched Creed yet. I really should.

Rocky Balboa carries an impressive career but like I said before, he lost a healthy amount. Also Micky admitted to protecting him throughout most of his first championship reign. Without a doubt one of the best underdog characters in film, but I wouldn't say the best boxer. Too inconsistent to me. He does manage to switch up his style on a dime and that's quite awesome so I can still see an argument for him.

That really leaves Apollo in a league of his own I think. Dude wanted Rocky because he wanted a novelty fight due to beating everyone worth beating in his division. He was the counterpart to Ali who is arguably the best boxer in the history of the sport. Undefeated via KO up until facing Rocky. He had no real weakness besides maybe overconfidence and time not being on his side as early as the first film (what was up with him and Rocky being close to retirement by the second movie?? Just weird). Superb all-rounder and had the charisma to be a draw. Gun to my head, I'd say Apollo Creed was the best boxer in the franchise.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just like in real sports, wins matter. It's Rocky. He beat everyone. He and Apollo basically had a draw in the first fight, with many feeling Apollo got the champion's edge in the decision. He then knocked Apollo out. He came back in his 50's and had a split decision with the current champion. Oh, and he beat the man that KILLED Apollo. It's definitely Rocky.

7. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If wins matter then it's still Apollo Creed. Not only did he beat Rocky in their first match, but if you've watched Creed, then you also know that he beat Rocky in their secret third match at the end of Rocky III. Apollo Creed was undefeated until his ONE loss against Rocky and by that time he was starting to get old. That's the only reason Drago beat him as bad as he did. Not saying that Drago still wouldn't have won but it wouldn't have been as awful if Apollo wasn't 3 years retired and went into that match not taking it seriously and not training like he should've. When it comes to skill, technique, power, speed, etc Apollo Creed is the best boxer in the 'Rocky' universe.

Remember one thing; Rocky fights great but Apollo Creed is a great fighter!

9. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That third fight obviously wasn't serious. Apollo may have been more skilled, but Rocky actually beat every opponent, even after his prime. Rocky started seriously boxing in his 30's. Apollo was more talented, but Rocky was a pitbull.

11. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information