Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the DCEU Dead??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    If it's not dead, it's not likely to get better.

Above all else, the movies haven't been fun. Man of Steel was a bunch of violence and, aside from Wonder Woman, almost everything else has been dark and brooding. There's very little inviting to bring you into the fold and when that's your beginning, not much else is going to work.

The whole thing was going to be based on Batman and Superman. They're the biggest superheroes of all time and no matter what else anyone did, the two of them were going to be what mattered most. Superman was a disaster and dragged Batman down with him, leaving us with nothing interesting until Wonder Woman showed up in a great movie. Aside from that though, everything is dark and messy with everything being serious instead of fun. Comic books can be dark, but you have to have a good time too. That's not the case with the DCEU.
    That's what Marvel did so well. They got quality actors, but more importantly, the movies are fun. There are feels in them, but the movies are a great time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    That's what Marvel did so well. They got quality actors, but more importantly, the movies are fun. There are feels in them, but the movies are a great time.
    Funnily enough Miller said he regreted some of the dark tones in his comics for that reason.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't think a darker tone is what hurts DC. I think they just made some bad films. I really think it is that simple.

4. Likes Jack-Hammer, mrluck_07 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Nick Dudley View Post
    I don't think a darker tone is what hurts DC. I think they just made some bad films. I really think it is that simple.
    I agree. I didn't particularly find Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman or Justice League dark, I just thought they ultimately weren't very well made movies. They substituted CGI for character development and story and it bit them in the ass. An example of a truly dark comic book film is Logan, which is easily the darkest superhero movie I've seen. Even though it's not part of the MCU, Logan was a fantastic film, critics loved it, movie goers heartily embraced it and it currently has the 4th highest grossing worldwide total for an R rated movie. Going dark can work if the rest of the elements for a great movie are there.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm still of the mindset that had WB released the Ultimate version of Batman V. Superman then we might be having a different conversation regarding the DCEU today. I hated the theatrical version but I'm telling you, for the 50th time, the Ultimate version is great. It's like a completely different film from the theatrical version.

7. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And not to really start a debate, I thought the Ultimate version was even worse. Just longer and even more boring. Their biggest mistake was Snyder.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll agree 100% that their issue was with going with Snyder. He was just the wrong choice for something like this. I respect your opinion on the Ultimate Edition, however, I thought the Ultimate Edition was fantastic. It had clearer explanations and motivations for the characters and focused equally on both Batman and Superman instead of just Batman like the theatrical version did.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Having seen Aquaman you can all suck my balls. Was amazing fun and what a superhero movie should be.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Now give Henry Cavill another solo movie with a good filmmaker. Cavill is not the problem.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Having seen Aquaman you can all suck my balls. Was amazing fun and what a superhero movie should be.
    Not going to suck your balls. Iâ??m seeing it tomorrow. Iâ??ve only heard good things. At the very least, it looks like itâ??ll be fun.

Thread Information