Thread: "Mean" Gene Okerlund Passes Away at 76

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Mean" Gene Okerlund Passes Away at 76

via wwe.com;

WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Gene Okerlund, the most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history, has passed away at age 76.

In his early days, â??Mean Geneâ?, as he was named by fellow Minnesotan, Jesse â??The Bodyâ? Ventura first came to prominence by interviewing the greatest stars of the AWA, including Ventura, Bobby â??The Brainâ? Heenan and Hulk Hogan. In 1984, Okerlund made the move to WWE where he became a staple on national cable television by continuing to interview the biggest names in sports-entertainment like Hogan, â??Macho Manâ? Randy Savage, The Ultimate Warrior and many more.

Okerlund branched out from interviewing by providing ringside commentary and hosting several shows, including All-American Wrestling, Tuesday Night Titans, Wrestling Challenge and Prime Time Wrestling. Announcing wasnâ??t all that Okerlund could do with a microphone, as his distinct voice sung the National Anthem at the first WrestleMania in 1985. Later that year, Okerlund would sing â??Tutti Fruttiâ? on WWEâ??s The Wrestling Album.

In 1993, Okerlund joined WCW as lead interviewer where he continued to interview many of the legends he had worked with in the AWA and WWE as well as WCW stalwarts, Sting, Diamond Dallas Page, Goldberg and others.

In 2001, Okerlund returned to WWE to call the Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania 17 along with Bobby â??The Brainâ? Heenan and continued to appear on WWE television programming, including being a cast member on WWE Networkâ??s Legendsâ?? House.

WWE extends its condolences to Okerlundâ??s family, friends and fans.
    I don't recall a nickname that was both wildly inaccurate yet universally accepted. Thanks for the memories, Mean Gene!

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    RIP Mean Gene!!!! I've loved watching his interviews. He was the ultimate good guy interviewer and would call a heel out on their shit in a minute. Loved Gene. Hogan interviews and Flair interviews were the best. "Well you know something Mean Gene!", then Flair with the, "MMMMMEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN BY GOD GENE, WOOOOOOOOO!". Loved it.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can't say it is too surprising, he has seemed in bad health for a while. All the same, one of the truly iconic personalities in wrestling history.

6. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I got to meet him at Axxess in 2016 on my honeymoon. He looked at my wife and said "I can see why." I took it as a compliment.

8. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I met him at an indie show in Chicago a few years ago. He was awesome. RIP mean Gene.

10. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ace that some of you guys got to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker
    I got to meet him at Axxess in 2016 on my honeymoon. He looked at my wife and said "I can see why." I took it as a compliment.
    Quite the honeymoon.
    If you ever attended a WWE live event (house shows and PPVs) which wrestler(s) did you buy a ticket to see? https://forms.gle/d5uh8iifDbfDBdDd8

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So WWE has turned this into an opportunity to bring Hulk Hogan back onto WWE TV. He will be in attendance to honour Mean Gene. Good thing they always bring in past stars to honour passing wrestling personalities otherwise this would reek of ulterior motives.

14. Likes Spidey, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    So WWE has turned this into an opportunity to bring Hulk Hogan back onto WWE TV. He will be in attendance to honour Mean Gene. Good thing they always bring in past stars to honour passing wrestling personalities otherwise this would reek of ulterior motives.
    Totally stealing this for a WZ thread.

RIP to one if not the greatest ringside personality in wrestling.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    Totally stealing this for a WZ thread.
    Fair game. There's a handful of users that Isuspect will need to hear it.

17. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information