Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NXT Takeover: Phoenix - No Men Are Ever Truly Good...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ehh... decent match.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bit much there at the end, but otherwise fun show.

Needed more Poppy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This WWE Chronicle sucks and is complete ass

Overall, I thought it was another great TakeOver.

The Undisputed Era vs. the War Raiders, for me, was a 4 to 4.25 star outing with lots of energy, good storytelling and fun action. One thing that did turn me off was that there was too much of too many people being in the ring all at the same time while the ref is standing there with his thumb up his ass. It's a complaint, but it's a minor one compared to all the good. War Raiders winning was the right call and wasn't a surprise as it was just their time.

Matt Riddle vs. Kassius Ohno was a fun, physical 3.5 star outing for me. To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if this match had happened on NXT television rather than a TakeOver but, at the same time, this was Riddle's first test in front of a really big crowd. The ending with Riddle just raining forearm shots on Ohno so relentlessly that Ohno tapped was different and different in a good way. Frankly, it kinda made Riddle look like a badass. I don't know about Riddle's long term success in WWE, the guy is a well known and well documented stoner, he looks like a stoner and sure as hell sounds like a stoner and I think the whacky backy will eventually lead to trouble in WWE.

Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano was 5 stars all the way in my opinion. Off the chart athleticism, great storytelling, physical action and the drama of watching Johnny Gargano's blacken his soul further for the sake of singles championship gold. Little things like Gargano visibly wrestling with his conscience at times, including resisting the urge to DDT Ricochet onto the uncovered concrete and eventually giving in to his frustrations, delivering a brainbuster, rolling him back into the ring, waiting for him to stagger to his feet, telling Ricochet "I win" and then delivering a slingshot DDT that Ricochet sold the hell out of was the perfect way to end the match.

Shayna Baszler vs. Bianca Belair was 3.25, maybe 3.5 stars. I liked the story of Belair's pride she feels in being "un-de-fea-ted" was brought up during the match and she did a great job of selling Baszler's offense. Overcoming Baszler's Horsewomen friends and lasting so long before ultimately passing out to Baszler's finisher definitely won over the crowd. It showed that she was a gutsy, spirited, tenacious gal who, under different circumstances, could have won. Her power out attempts towards the end made for some great drama and I don't know if the intention is to turn Belair full on babyface, but it could happen after last night's performance.

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Aleister Black made it to 4.5 stars for me. Another great outing from these two, though I did think Black kicking out of Fairytale Ending twice was a bit much. The match built itself and it started off slowly and fans were on the edge of their seats by the time it was over. Ciampa retained clean, he still looked like a sadistic asshole while doing it and that's why he's still the best heel in wrestling right now, for my money. The image of Gargano coming out and standing beside Ciampa while both of them held up their titles was an interesting picture. Are they allied once again? Is Gargano still coming after Ciampa to be the first dual champion in NXT? There are some interesting directions they can go in and, as is the case common with TakeOver, I was left wanting more.

So yeah, it goes without saying this show was an A. I still think New Orleans last year was the overall best TakeOver of them all but it's just nitpicking at this point because NXT delivering during these shows has become about as reliable as the sun coming up every morning.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hated that Ricochet kicked out of the spiked-rana on the outside/slingshot DDT combo. Other than that, Gargano & Ricochet was extremely good. The finisher spamming at the end of Ciampa/Black was also a mark on what I thought was a storytelling clinic as they worked the knees superbly throughout. Felt more like a transitional show than anything else, but very much enjoyed it all the same.

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information