Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: WWE Royal Rumble 2019 - Risin' Up (Over the Top Rope Edition)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What if the pulled a swerve and have Rollins go after DB instead of Lesnar, and then have Finn win the EC to go after Brock as the demon?

2. Likes supermatto64 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Jesus this show is STILL going? How do they expect people to sit through these?
    10 seconds at a time

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconBits View Post
    What if the pulled a swerve and have Rollins go after DB instead of Lesnar, and then have Finn win the EC to go after Brock as the demon?
    Well Bacon, if you must ask, I'd be quite happy about that.

5. Likes supermatto64 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    Well Bacon, if you must ask, I'd be quite happy about that.
    I would to. Iâ??d think itâ??d make for better matches.

7. Likes smarkmouth, supermatto64 liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agreed on Balor vs Brock II. Beats the fuck out of another "You're never here!" Mania angle

Love to see how Daniel Bryan feels about a guy that wants to burn things down.
    Last edited by Spidey; 01-27-2019 at 10:08 PM.

9. Likes smarkmouth, supermatto64 liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After what Finn and Brock pulled off in 10 minutes, I'd rather Demon Finn vs Brock myself.

11. Likes smarkmouth, supermatto64 liked this post
    You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Royal Rumble 2019
    Date: January 27, 2019
    Commentators: Michael Cole, Corey Graves, Renee Young, Byron Saxton, Tom Phillips

It’s the first of the Big Four pay per views and that means it’s time to really get going with the busiest season of the year. In this case that means a pair of Royal Rumble matches, which may or may not have the highest levels of drama. I’m not sure who we’ll be seeing tonight, but it could be interesting. Let’s get to it.

Click on the link below for the full review.

I Almost Had A Birthday Watching This Show

My only real complaint about the show was the time. I knew it'd end just before midnight and that's just too damn long for any show but at least the booking made sense.

Rusev vs. Shinsuke Nakamura was a good, very watchable 3 star outing though I was surprised to see Nakamura regain the strap. Something tells me they're gonna trade the title back at least once between now and WrestleMania.

The Cruiserweight Championship match was a fast paced, physical 3.75 star bout and they squeezed a lot into it in only about 12 minutes. Murphy retained, but I'm not sure where they go from here.

Asuka vs. Becky Lynch was a very strong 4.25 star bout that turned out to be better than I'd hoped. Lots of energy, lots of fun counters and they almost seemed to be playing a game of "can you top this?" at various points. Asuka winning clean, in my opinion, was the right call as I think she needed the win more than Becky. After all, Asuka has been sort of an afterthought for a while, Becky has been the hottest thing going and it's not like Asuka doesn't have the necessary ability and credibility to take Becky. Becky didn't lose anything while Asuka gained a lot.

The SD Tag Team Championship match I gave 3 stars too. I didn't hate this the way I thought I would because I expected some sort of comedic nonsense and silliness from Miz & Shane rather than them coming off like a serious team. I still would have very much preferred they had't takein this route towards their, probable, eventual WrestleMania match as the inclusion of the tag titles seems unnecessary, but, as I said, at least they treated this seriously and Miz & Shane celebrated like they'd just won the Super Bowl.

The Women's Royal Rumble match was an overall fun 4.25 star outing due in no small part to the ending and the fact that there weren't really any legends of the past. Instead of that, they went the route of including new faces from NXT and NXT UK, showcasing some of the future rather than using nostalgia featuring a bunch of former female stars from the bad old days, most of whom couldn't wrestle anyway. I dug how they tied in Lana's "ankle injury" suffered accidentally during Rusev's match as a means of Becky Lynch inserting herself because, let's face it, nobody really gave a crap about seeing Lana in there. As with last year, I also enjoyed how they laid out this match in that they didn't try to portray anyone as super dominant by having someone eliminate 7 or 8 other competitors as it just makes for a more interesting match, in my opinion. The ending was exactly as it should have been, coming down to Charlotte and Becky and I marked out when Becky was the winner, the single winner, as that was the outcome I think most people were looking for. This frees up Becky to challenge Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania and they could go the route of Charlotte challenging Asuka at WrestleMania with Charlotte looking to regain her throne while Asuka looks for redemption at the event where her undefeated streak ended. So yeah, if that's the plan, then there are two money, marquee women's matches for WrestleMania.

Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles got 3 stars from me, which is disappointing but it's due to other factors rather than these men. This match came about after many people, me included, had been watching for in excess of 5 hours, people were getting tired by this time, this is a match we'd seen recently and it followed a hot women's RR match that saw an extremely crowd pleasing finish. The fact this match came off as well as it did is a testament to Styles & Bryan as they've legitimately been two of the best in-ring workers in the world since the early to mid 2000s. Erick Rowan showing up dressed in full tree hugger gear was surprising, though I would've preferred Bryan deliver a low blow for the finish. Still, I'm curious to see where this goes. A disappointing outing but, again, there were lots of factors at play here that set this match up to be disappointing.

Brock Lesnar vs. Finn Balor was a fun 3.5 star outing. To me, this didn't come anywhere close to Bryan's match against Lesnar at Survivor Series, but I'm glad they at least gave Balor a real match. Lesnar did another good job of selling his opponent's offense here, I liked how they used Lesnar's past issues with Diverticulitis and the fact that Lesnar sweats profusely while turning about half a dozen different shades of reddish purple during his matches helped to sell that Balor's offense to his gut was painful. The match went about 11 minutes, but they squeezed a lot in and while the outcome was never in doubt, I'm glad they didn't make Balor look like a possum's pecker.

The men's Royal Rumble match, much like the women's, was a fun 4.25 star outing that saw WWE primarily putting focus on the here & now and the future by including some stars from NXT and NXT UK. It was fun seeing Johnny Gargano and Pete Dunne in the RR match, both of whom gave a good showing for themselves as did Mustafa Ali. As with last year's men's match, they also went the route of not having anyone be all super dominant by eliminating 8 or 9 people, which just makes the matches more interesting and gives them more of an "it's anybody's game" type of feel. Nia Jax's surprise entrance, after she beat the ever loving shit out of R-Truth, was definitely a surprise and I developed a pit in my stomach. I mean, I thought to myself that Vince would never go the route of having a woman win the men's RR match...right? The more I thought about it though, the more I could see it happening because Vince, as we all know, can be decidedly unbalanced at times when it comes to booking choices. Seeing Nia get her ass kicked good and proper by Ziggler, Orton and Mysterio was oddly satisfying and got a helluva crowd reaction, though I definitely don't want any real sort of intergender stuff going on. Nia, after all, is heavier than probably all but 3 men who entered the Royal Rumble, but it's still a man beating up a woman. At any rate, having Seth Rollins come out on top was the right decision in my eyes; Rollins was one of the handful of bright spots for Raw in 2018 and was the real workhorse of the brand.

So yeah, all in all, I give last night's show a B+, maybe even an A-. I enjoyed it quite a bit but the length of the show, from the start of the kickoff show to the RR itself going off the air, was roughly 7 hours. Even without the kickoff show, 5 hours is just too much for any show but Vince is a major proponent of the more is always better philosophy.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

14. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The length destroyed any chance this show had of being good. WWE is obsessed with "bigger is better", but FIVE HOURS (not even counting the pre-show) is just too much. I don't see how anyone can watch this entire show and be excited throughout. I turned this off after Bryan vs Styles, and I don't feel like I missed anything. Unless Mania is good, I'm sticking with NXT from now on.

16. Likes smarkmouth, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information