Thread: Hideo Itami Asks for Release

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hideo Itami Asks for Release

Another name to add to the list.

Itami came in hot as WWE's most high profile signing from Japan in... well, ever. He was treated like royalty, signed his contract in a ceremony hosted by Hulk Hogan (before the whole racism debacle) in Tokyo and seemed destined for big things, appearing in the WrestleMania 31, Andre Battle Royal and sparking a feud with then NXT Champion Kevin Owens ahead of the Beast from the East show, obviously being lined up to be the face of any possible Japanese expansion. Injury though ended those prospects. He returned the following year, looking destined for a feud with Austin Aries (remember when he was in WWE?), but unfortunately injured Aries off the GTS and succumbed to the injury bug himself once more. All while Shinsuke Nakamura had arrived and overshadowed him as the major player in the East Asian market.

It seemed like his move to 205 Live was a hail Mary to see if they could get anything out of him... and well, they didn't. Itami's "Respect Me!" gimmick is a good base, but its never developed beyond him being an arrogant, hard dude who shouts "Respect Me!" over and over again. He's solid, but never expanded beyond that and seems destined to head back to Japan. Whether its a hero's welcome back in long-time home promotion NOAH or maybe a move across to New Japan, we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless, Hideo Itami is not long for this world, but KENTA is about to make a comeback...

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Usually the WWE does an annual spring cleaning, but this year it seems as if the workers are beating them to the punch.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I hope during his 90 days off that he pops some juice, gets into shape, and either goes to NJPW or AEW. I'd like to see him in a promotion where he can truly compete against the best in the World.

If he goes back to NOAH then none of this matters, he might as well have stayed in WWE.

I wish him the best, but even as a big fan, I just won't care if all this leads to is him remaining flabby and wrestling for a promotion no one cares about anymore.
    Last edited by jmt225; 01-30-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This move is for the best for both parties. Even if Hideo had managed to stay healthy the whole time, I’m not sure he ever would have connected with a primarily North American audience. His style is probably a little too Japanese for mass appeal, and that’s okay. He should go back to Japan where he will fit in a lot better.

7. Likes Yaz, BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    He has talent and a lot of it, but like Bacon said, its such a Japanese style that I'm not sure if it ever would have appealed to North American audiences. He never really had a gimmick other than guy who can kick hard, and that's all you need in Japan. Its just different styles, nothing wrong with it. Most North American fans are used to a guy having a character and the old good vs evil factor. He never felt like he marked any of those boxes. Sure, the injuries didn't help and the whole GTS fiasco wasn't doing him any favors when it was going on, but this is the best move for him. I rarely say that when guys request their WWE leave, but this time I think it is.

Thread Information