Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Hammer is a homophobe

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dyke's like the big no. It's offensive. Very offensive. When you google it it literally says "Noun, informal, offensive" but why let that get in the way of your awful argument.

Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke_(slang)

We find the defendant, not guilty due to very weak evidence so far. Please proceed with better evidence to keep this trial going.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Very strong accusation when things like fag and gay are very much just common slurs that aren't necessarily meant to refer to sexuality (not saying that is how it should be or makes it okay). Essentially its going to boil down to intent, does JH mean to insult. From there its a debate about as KB says is he actually afraid of gay people

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by A11 View Post
    Very strong accusation when things like fag and gay are very much just common slurs that aren't necessarily meant to refer to sexuality (not saying that is how it should be or makes it okay). Essentially its going to boil down to intent, does JH mean to insult. From there its a debate about as KB says is he actually afraid of gay people
    But dyke is not one of those words. It's only ever said in the context of insult.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like he called WWE's first openly lesbian wrestler a dyke. How is that NOT meant to infer sexuality?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah I'm gonna definetly side with Lee here. As someone who, when they were much younger admittedly, used that word to describe a girl in my school and got the piss slapped out of me, I can confirm it is considered extremely offensive. Maybe it wasn't intended to be offensive because a lot of you guys seem to lack the comprehension that it isn't, in which case, let's hope everyone uses this oppertunity to better understand how hurtful they can be without realising it.

My internet connection goes down for a few days and things go haywire.

An anti-gay slur wasn't my intention and I apologize if that's what some inferred. To me, "dyke" is just a generic way to refer to all lesbians and it's probably something I picked up from my first cousin, Nicole. She came out when she was 16, she's 32 now, and she, her wife/spouse, and all their other friends frequently refer to themselves as "dykes."

She moved back from Ohio for her job, she's lived in Ohio for the last 10 years, so we really haven't had that much of a chance to talk as much as we used to the past several years. She got married to her partner of 7 years on New Year's Day and we were talking about this and that and she said a lot of her "dyke" friends were part of the wedding party and I remembered that I wanted to talk to her about it. It's somewhat obscure, I can't remember the last time I heard someone say it apart from her or her wife/spouse/partner, or whichever term you choose to use. I asked if that wasn't like the N word for lesbians and she said that not really as, since the 70s, the lesbian community has adopted the word as a means of describing women who're strong, assertive, ambitious, authoritative for women gay or straight or just as a general word for lesbians or lesbianism in and of itself.

I'm not homophobic and never will be. Again, I'm sorry if that's how it came across and it certainly wasn't my intention. When I saw this, I did a little research and while it's still considered a slur in some circles, it's not as widely seen that way anymore but, again, I screwed up and should have avoided the term altogether.

I do sincerely apologize, it wasn't my intention to slur the gay community. I don't hate gays, I'm not afraid of guys.
    Last edited by Jack-Hammer; 02-02-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Had I still been admin, I would have infracted him too. I don't know if I would have banned him due to his status on WZF, but it definitely would have been an infraction and a discussion via PM. That being said, I get why he was banned and I don't know if I would have argued against it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    But dyke is not one of those words. It's only ever said in the context of insult.
    Unless you spell it as "dike". Then it is not offensive at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    My internet connection goes down for a few days and things go haywire.

An anti-gay slur wasn't my intention and I apologize if that's what some inferred. To me, "dyke" is just a generic way to refer to all lesbians and it's probably something I picked up from my first cousin, Nicole. She came out when she was 16, she's 32 now, and she, her wife/spouse, and all their other friends frequently refer to themselves as "dykes."

She moved back from Ohio for her job, she's lived in Ohio for the last 10 years, so we really haven't had that much of a chance to talk as much as we used to the past several years. She got married to her partner of 7 years on New Year's Day and we were talking about this and that and she said a lot of her "dyke" friends were part of the wedding party and I remembered that I wanted to talk to her about it. It's somewhat obscure, I can't remember the last time I heard someone say it apart from her or her wife/spouse/partner, or whichever term you choose to use. I asked if that wasn't like the N word for lesbians and she said that not really as, since the 70s, the lesbian community has adopted the word as a means of describing women who're strong, assertive, ambitious, authoritative for women gay or straight or just as a general word for lesbians or lesbianism in and of itself.

I'm not homophobic and never will be. Again, I'm sorry if that's how it came across and it certainly wasn't my intention. When I saw this, I did a little research and while it's still considered a slur in some circles, it's not as widely seen that way anymore but, again, I screwed up and should have avoided the term altogether.

I do sincerely apologize, it wasn't my intention to slur the gay community. I don't hate gays, I'm not afraid of guys.
    Hey, if you sincerely mean this, then I say good for you. If you genuinely meant no offense, then you've apologized and hopefully learned something so you never repeat the mistake.

Also, just to clarify, to a large percentage of people, the word is used in an offensive manner. Even if your cousin does not see it that way, many people (gay or not) do see it in similar terms as the word "nigger".

Oh, and this isn't WZ, you can say the word "nigger" here, as long as you're discussing it in a matter of fact sense and not as an insult.
    Quote Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
    Had I still been admin, I would have infracted him too. I don't know if I would have banned him due to his status on WZF, but it definitely would have been an infraction and a discussion via PM. That being said, I get why he was banned and I don't know if I would have argued against it.
    Meh, I don't think I would have. I probably would have removed the offending portion and shot him a PM that said "Hey, not cool man". If you removed that word and replaced it with "butch", there is absolutely nothing else in that post to even come close to suggesting it had malice in it. And if a guy with 13,000+ messages over the course of nearly 10 years is the one saying it, with no real history to suggest it is a pattern, sometimes you just need to give the benefit of the doubt a little.

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    On a completely random and totally unrelated sidenote, I really do not like the little emoticons () on this forum. I really should say something to one of the administrators about that...

Thread Information