Thread: Fastlane 2019 - WWE Champion Daniel Bryan versus Kofi Kingston

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fastlane 2019 - WWE Champion Daniel Bryan versus Kofi Kingston

It's happening...

For the first time in his long running career in WWE, Kofi Kingston will get a one-on-one match for the biggest prize in the game. All that stands between him and a place in history is a goat-faced killah, a defender of the planet, a master of submission and the reigning, defending, undisputed WWE Champion: Daniel Bryan. Kingston earned this shot through stellar performances in last week's gauntlet match and the Elimination Chamber and then pinning Bryan in a six man tag in last night's SmackDown main event.

Frankly this is exciting. Kofi is red hot right now and after WWE milked all the drama they could out of the closing sequences of the Chamber match, I'm more than prepared, happy and enthralled by the prospect of Kofi finally getting a one-on-one match with Bryan, which is sure to be of real quality. Their interactions in the past week have been gold and this should be no different.

As for who wins? Bryan is clear favourite, no doubt, but maybe, just maybe, there will be magic in the air that night...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Kofi shouldn't win but I think they should do something similar to what they did with Jeff Hardy 10 plus years ago.

Then again, he'll be stone cold by the time they finally give him the belt. Such as WWE do things.

3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    Then again, he'll be stone cold by the time they finally give him the belt. Such as WWE do things.
    WWE needs to give Kofi the belt at Mania. If they wait he'll almost certainly lose his momentum due to poor booking.

5. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    WWE needs to give Kofi the belt at Mania. If they wait he'll almost certainly lose his momentum due to poor booking.
    I agree. Even if they decided not to put the title on Kofi, saving this match for WrestleMania would be more interesting.

Kofi has momentum right now, fans have pretty much always been into him, they know he can deliver inside the ring, he's got lots of personality, he's likeable and he's worked his ass off in WWE for more than a decade doing everything that's ever been asked of him without complaints. Kofi's an old school pro and I just feel fans would respond more to this match at WrestleMania than by having Bryan face a returning star like Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens, or an over the hill legend who can't really go anymore like Kurt Angle or the Undertaker. With that being said, I wouldn't hate seeing Zayn or Owens face off against Bryan at WrestleMania, Zayn especially as the poor guy has been put through the ringer since hitting the main roster, it's just that Bryan and Kofi have built up this history over the past several weeks, they have great chemistry and fans have just latched onto it.

Also, if they decide to keep the title on Bryan after WrestleMania, I can't say that I'd complain as I think he's been killing it since winning the title. He's a ton of fun as a heel and he still works his ass off to make himself look like a million bucks but not at the expense of his opponent.

WWE does have some intriguing options an directions they can go and having multiple fun options during this time of year and heading into the post WrestleMania season isn't a bad thing.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
    Steve Austin was actually good little hand in the ring and a pretty good draw back in the day, if they can get him stone cold, he might have a shot.

You know when you hear former wrestlers go on podcasts, or you pirate this week's WOR, and you hear them say "There are some guys who leave to further their careers, and then there are some guys who are just happy collecting a paycheck". I always thought they meant Jack Swagger, but even he left so now I know they definitely meant Kofi. It's crazy to think about 2009 and how sure we were that he'd be at least figured into WWE's future as perennial face and challenger, rather than wallowing in the midcard for 5 years before lucking out and becoming the third most over person in a three man stable. I can only assume in a world where Jinder Mahal has been WWE Champion and Goldberg came back, main evented Wrestlemania and retired again, that Kofi just didn't want it bad enough.

He didn't even want this title shot probably, Mustafa Ali was just unlucky enough to upset the concussion gods and Daniel Bryan is just that good at getting underdogs over in the Elimination Chamber (I still love you Santino) that he managed to fall into a PPV payday. A true feel good story for lazy slobs and underachievers everywhere, god bless ya Kofi.

9. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantaur Rodeo Clown View Post
    I can only assume in a world where Jinder Mahal has been WWE Champion and Goldberg came back, main evented Wrestlemania and retired again, that Kofi just didn't want it bad enough.
    What are you basing this off?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    What are you basing this off?
    It's never been easier in the history of the World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment to become a """""world""""" champion. Bray Wyatt is widely considered a joke and had a run. Mark Henry was a joke for his entire WWE run and widely thought to be complete shit and he got a World Title Run at the age of 40. Alberto Del Rio is inexplicably a 4 time world champion despite never being over in his life. If Kofi really wanted it more than he wanted his paycheck, he'd probably take a risk.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantaur Rodeo Clown
    It's never been easier in the history of the World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment to become a """""world""""" champion. Bray Wyatt is widely considered a joke and had a run. Mark Henry was a joke for his entire WWE run and widely thought to be complete shit and he got a World Title Run at the age of 40. Alberto Del Rio is inexplicably a 4 time world champion despite never being over in his life. If Kofi really wanted it more than he wanted his paycheck, he'd probably take a risk.
    Mahal and Del Rio were made champ to appeal to the ethnic groups they belong to. More than likely, Vince or any other top brass didn't see Kingston as world champion.
    If you ever attended a WWE live event (house shows and PPVs) which wrestler(s) did you buy a ticket to see? https://forms.gle/d5uh8iifDbfDBdDd8

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Well... that all changed rather promptly. Whether by design or (un)happy coincidence, Vince McMahon continues the developing trend of removing popular superstars from high profile championship matches. First Becky, now Kofi. Could WWE be setting up something where Vince is expelled from power for being out of touch (so he can focus on the XFL next year)? Who know, and I digress...

Kingston is out and the returning Kevin Owens is in! Indeed, KO teamed with Kofi to take down Bryan and Rowan, pinning the champ via a Stunner to legitimize his claim to a title shot. The more compelling story though is what seems to be bubbling away under the surface. With Kofi removed and a lingering on the heartbreak and persistent denial of a one-on-one championship match versus a world champion, you have to figure this is only a way to delay that title shot to WrestleMania itself. Indeed, rumour and innuendo suggested at one time that Owens was set for the WWE Championship match at WrestleMania. Those reports, conveniently enough, appeared just as Kofi was being awarded the title match at Fastlane, and amongst fan protest that he should be getting the championship oppertunity on the grandest stage available: WrestleMania!

KO seems likely to be a speed-bump for Bryan ahead of a (hopefully) inevitable showdown with Kofi, but only time will tell...

Thread Information