Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batista Returns (2019 Edition)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Batista Returns (2019 Edition)

Ya'll have seen it (and if you haven't, its embedded above). Dave Bautista A.K.A. Batista is back in WWE and he has his sights set on one man - Triple H.

Last October, at SmackDown 1000, an Evolution reunion ended in a tense showdown between the two men, Batista reminding his former mentor that he has never been able to best him. That seemed like an obvious beginning for a programme between the two, something its long been rumoured Batista has been after to close his pro-wrestling career. However, that was put in doubt when Haitch tore his pectoral muscle in Saudi Arabia at the abomination that was Crown Jewel, and while it was known that "The Game" was back in training, it was speculated that he'd have to miss out on WrestleMania this year as an in-ring competitor. Add to that an Instagram post from Chris Jericho featuring himself as Batista and there were plenty of reasons to assume Batista wouldn't be getting his dream exit this year, or perhaps any year, perhaps even choosing to help out the budding AEW brand instead.

And then this past Monday happened.

At Ric Flair's birthday bash organised by Triple H himself, with a number of Flair's peers and nemeses' and the current RAW locker room in attendance, the chords of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra rang out... but there was no sign of "The Nature Boy". Cut abruptly to a camera man being dragged across the backstage area by a leather jacket adorned bald dude in skinny jeans, complete with blue shades and matching nose piercing: BATISTA! The crowd goes wild! And then he pulled the beaten, battered and bruised corpse of the now 70(!) year old Ric Flair out. "The Animal" dumping his prey's carcass like a trophy for the world to see as he looked dead into the camera, uttered a mere nine words: "Hey Hunter... do I have your attention now? HUH?!?"

Oh it is on!

You just know Batista is going to relish being a big nasty bastard, a role he excelled in throughout his career, and Triple H will bring the thunder as the legend out for blood and vengeance. This was an excellent cliffhanger to end RAW on and sets the stage for the legend showdown at this year's Mania, something this show seemed to be missing with a lack of Undertaker, John Cena et al as we headed into the New York/New Jersey area for the "Showcase of the Immortals". The match probably won't be anything special, but dammit I'm excited!

What sayeth the rest of you?

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He really was a fantastic Kanye-esque villain last time, so I look forward to seeing what else he has in store on the road to Wrestlemania. They're both about 50 so I wouldn't expect a barn-burner, but it definitely has my curiosity. I was completely surprised to see Batista drop in like that and use Flair to send a message. Glad they're going at it this way. Simple yet effective.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The story is off to a great start. Last night's ending was one of the best in a while. Both sides are going to make a lot of money. What's not to like?

It probably won't be a great match, but it's not meant to be.

6. Likes smarkmouth liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Inb4 the "why are two 50 year old's taking up a spot at Wrestlemania" complaints.

Seriously, I have no problem with this. Batista and HHH are two of the greatest ever and I have complete faith that they'll be able to tell one of the better story's heading into Mania. Besides, the show's like 15 hours. Are we really going to act like there's no room on it for HHH and friggin Batista? The match probably won't be anything special and it's going to pain me to see HHH likely come out on top, but it'll undoubtedly be a fun ride on the way there.

I did miss Batista though.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Triple H in a face role is always a little weird to me, but this should be fun. Batista is a very good bully heel and so long as they have more of a fight as opposed to whatever Trips tried to do with Roman at Wrestlemania a couple years ago, this should be enjoyable. Might mean we get Flair being crazy Flair on TV and I'm all for that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Plot twist. Batista and Flair are working together. They want to take down HHH for being a corporate sellout.

11. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm certainly not counting on this as Dave has always said he wants Triple H to be his final opponent, but I was kinda hoping H chooses an NXT proxy to handle this fight for him. Dave damn well better invade TakeOver, though.

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Batista was always a more interesting heel than face. It would be really cool if he started picking off DX members on the road to WM in attacking segments to further enrage Three H's.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Deliverer of Mail View Post
    Batista was always a more interesting heel than face. It would be really cool if he started picking off DX members on the road to WM in attacking segments to further enrage Three H's.
    That might at least make it kind of interesting. To be honest, I think the best way this match works is under some sort of no DQ stipulation. You have to think Batista has more than a fair amount of ring rust and Triple H's last performances in the ring weren't exactly stellar. I give Trips props for his legit toughness, Crown Jewel marked the third time, if I'm not mistaken, Trips has suffered a torn muscle in the middle of a match and kept going despite the pain. Batista's officially 50 and Triple H will be 50 later on in the year, so that's going to affect them now matter how big of gym rats they still are.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

16. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Of course, Batista makes a better heel than a face, but does Triple H makes a better face than a heel? It had been years since Triple H was celebrated as a Babyface.

18. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information