Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling isn't real, but everyone knows that

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wrestling isn't real, but everyone knows that

Rusev tweeted this today - "Ronda’s new character is not real. She is playing a badass but we all know she ain’t in REAL LIFE"

This isn't an isolated incident. Ronda Rousey called Becky Lynch by her real name and said she doesn't follow the script. Triple H called Ric Flair by his real name on Raw. Then you had one of the SNL guys literally ask "Is any of this even real?"

Why doesn't WWE just come out and say "none of this is real anyways lmao". Seriously what's the point of this? Yes wrestling isn't real and kayfabe is dead, but fans don't need a constant reminder. Enjoying wrestling requires a suspension of disbelief and buying into stories, and this ruins that for me.

2. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ya to me, it definitely ruins the illusion doesn't it? I watch wrestling as kind of an escape from reality in a way, a soap opera with violence. I invest in the characters created for me, everyone knows its fake, but we really don't need to be reminded every week now. I'm pretty tired of Twitter being used to build a feud now too, its really fucking lazy if you ask me and shows how weak the creative staff for Raw and SD really are when Twitter is your bottom line for story building. I miss the days when Hulk Hogan would protect kayfabe at all costs no matter what talk show he was on. He even grabbed one host in a headlock and made him pass out from it to protect kayfabe. Now, social media makes these wrestlers look like little whiny brats and takes away from the illusion IMO. (Though Becky's burns on some are fun, that I've read) most are a waste of time and shouldn't be crammed down our throats by Cole to obviously build some kind of tension between opponents, again that is some lazy ass feud writing.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another thing, in the future (It's already happening here and there...) superfans of rockstars long past on will be treated to lifelike hologram concerts of their idol. It will look real, sound real and take them back to a time when said rockstar was in his prime. Now take that in context with a guy constantly waving a big black flag through the hologram throughout the concert to cut it off and ruin the experience. That's kind of what WWE is doing right now with this -Wrestling is fake, and we'll remind you of that now- idea.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Kayfabe is dead. Has been for some time.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

8. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rusev's comments stem out of a "shoot promo" Ronda cut on the WWE.

Speaking of lazy writing. I get it, it was supposed to piss people off, and it succeeded. But now what? Is Ronda going to no-sell? WWE is actually doing Russo-grade storylines going into the first women's main event of WrestleMania.

10. Likes Spidey, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does this mean she'll stop dressing her face up like she's in Raven's Flock?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    At this rate, a year from now I'll turn on WWE and there will be a Star Wars themed wrestler (or should I say choreographed fighter) force choking people for his special move.

WWE is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't and seems to be the only game in town that has such a problem. For instance, how many comments, criticisms, complaints or whatever have you read in which someone blasts WWE for "insulting the intelligence" of fans when it comes to trying to portray things as real? Then, on the other hand, how many comments, criticisms, complaints or whatever have you read in which someone blasts WWE for not trying to keep the mystique of kayfabe alive? If WWE portrayed itself like Lucha Underground, trolls would be coming out of the woodwork blasting WWE for trying to portray the wrestlers as really being some sort of godlike figures in a self-contained existence. If WWE portrayed itself like New Japan, trolls would be coming out of the woodwork blasting WWE for trying to portray professional wrestling as a sport where wins and losses actually matter.

WWE can't win no matter what it does, so the brass might as well just do what they normally do: do whatever they think, right or wrong, that makes them the most money. WWE's branded as a soulless corporation that's destroying pro wrestling anyway, at least by numerous disgruntled wrestlers and fans so spoiled that they don't even realize it, so they might as well get paid as much as they can.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

14. Likes mrluck_07, EnviousDominous liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    Does this mean she'll stop dressing her face up like she's in Raven's Flock?

Sometimes pro-wrestling tries to do something very avant-garde, and they present an occurrence (a "real" fight which is really fake) within another occurrence (a "fake" fight which is presented as fake). I hope to God that I'm just being paranoid, and that the WWE isn't really doing this.

Do ya'll remember when Vince Russo came to WCW, and things got all topsy-turvy? I don't want to relive any of the nightmarish scenes through video, so I'll explain for those that don't remember. Russo had this wild idea that he could make his show look more real by acknowledging that pro-wrestling is fake, but in doing so acknowledge a real fight. They did this a few times.

One incident was where Buff Bagwell (as if he needed to look anymore like a goober) went out and looked annoyed while he performed his usual poses and would eventually just lay there like "Pin me already, get this overwith." and lose the match. Buff would get up on the camera and be all "Who else do you want me to lose to Vince?", which at best indicates that he's a disgruntled employee, and at worst it was career suicide. Jeff Jarrett debuted at that time, and broke a guitar over Buff's head, which was implied as being real. Odd that Buff never charged Jeff with assault.

Another incident was when they deliberately had cameras catch Scotty Riggs and someone I can't remember discussing what spots they'll do in their next match, and then they did those spots in a later match.

Another incident had Eddie Guerrero and the LWO apparently plotting to take video of Billy Kidman and Torrie Wilson being intimate. Someone flubbed their line, causing everyone to laugh hysterically and act like they were telling the cameraman to cut.

Then there was the time that the WWF had Paul Bearer brag to Jerry Lawler about how he had sex with Undertaker's Mom, which was apparently caught on video because the WWF's production crew "forgot" to go to commercial.

I fucking hate it when they do these things, and it looks like the Ronda thing is another one of these stupid "meta-fake invokes real" occurrences.

Ronda is dorking around social media as she's often wont to do, and I assume that we're supposed to be getting riled up at her because she's playing the character of a UFC fighter who thinks that all pro-wrestling is fake. I guess that we fans are supposed to react as though she's insulted our religion, and thereby cheer like thunder for Becky. And I guess that UFC fans, who weren't going to buy a ticket either way, are supposed to be egging us on.

I highly doubt that Rusev is in on the angle, and I believe that his tweet was meant to mock her apparent attempts to undermine pro-wrestling by calling aspects of it fake.

Unless Ronda stomps into WrestleMania and no-sells everything, then her character is going to look pretty stupid while selling for Becky right after suggesting that her signature hold isn't effective.

I hate hate HATE it when pro-wrestling tries to do things like this. You don't need to add this kind of drama to a Ronda vs Becky feud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Thread Information