Thread: WrestleMania 35 - Cruiserweight Champion Buddy Murphy versus Tony Nese

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WrestleMania 35 - Cruiserweight Champion Buddy Murphy versus Tony Nese

This has been bubbling away for some time. Murphy captured the title in front of a raucous home-town crowd during the Super Show-Down event in Melbourne last October and has been the best champion the title's had since its reactivation. He's defended it feverishly and had bloody stellar matches throughout. Indeed it seemed like "The Juggernaut" had run through everyone on 205Live... except for one guy: Murphy's training partner since surfacing on the purple brand - Tony Nese.

Nese is fairly unremarkable. Good physique and solid between the ropes, there's nothing about him that stands out above anyone else. Indeed, he's one of the few guys from the Crusierweight Classic to both still be with WWE and have done nothing. Guys like Gallagher, Kendrick, Tozawa, Gulak et al have at least had stand-out matches/characters or title reigns. Nese hasn't had any of that. And that's where his alliance with Murphy has come into play. Working with the Australian, he's been helping hone him into the dominant champion he is today. All while remaining obscure in the background. All while failing to propel himself up the ladder toward a title shot.

Indeed, it seemed like Murphy was deliberately suppressing Nese, offering title shots at intermittent points but always failing to deliver. Matters were taken out of the champ's hands though as Nese entered into the number one contender's tournament to determine Murphy's opponent for WrestleMania. Not only did Nese enter though, he won the whole thing, overcoming former champion Kalisto and the ever present Drew Gulak before ultimately slaying "The Heart of 205", Cedric Alexander. As the broadcast drew to a close, Murphy congratulated his comrade... before knee his face into the third row.

It'll be on the pre-show, it'll be mostly glossed over, but there's a fun, simple story to be had here and it'll be nice to see it paid off on the biggest stage the company has!

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    205 Live is largely a great show, they just need some more characters. Two nears ago we had Neville and Aries, now we have Murphy and Nese. Both talented guys but I want the headliners of that brand to be guys I can envision breaking put at some point, even if they don't.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This match could be removed for time. It would probably be a good match, and 205 Live fans want to see it. But when your show is literally guaranteed to be AT LEAST 7 hours long, you need to cut some stuff.

WWE has too much talent. The current WresteMania card has 14 confirmed matches (including Reigns vs McIntyre, Miz vs Shane, and the Women's Tag Titles, which are all but confirmed), and there's still a lot of wrestlers who aren't on the card.

Finn Balor, Bobby Lashley, The Revival, Andrade, Cesaro, Sheamus, The Usos, The Hardys, Rusev, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kevin Owens, and Mustafa Ali all don't have a match. That doesn't include Robert Roode, Chad Gable, the Authors of Pain, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, and Sanity, who haven't done anything this year.

The only solution is to have several multi-man matches, put them in a meaningless Battle Royal, or have a super long show, and (lucky us) we're getting all three.

6. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The time has come for a two part WrestleMania.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Murphy and Nese have a similar sort of style in that both of them are physical powerhouses among the CW Division who can also do the highly athletic spots. If they give them at least 15 minutes and tell them just go nuts out there, then you'll quite possibly have one of the best matches on the entire show, even if it's all but guaranteed to be on the kickoff show.

In my opinion, it's time to have Murphy drop the title and move both him and Alexander onto the main roster like Mustafa Ali. Alexander was Cruiserweight Champion for about 180 days while Murphy will be around day 175 or so by WrestleMania; so once you've been champ for a good 6 months, there's nothing else to do on 205 Live and Alexander is really just spinning his wheels. Truth be told, some fresh faces to 205 Live might not be a bad idea as the show mostly seems to revolve around Jack Gallagher, Brian Kendrick, Akira Tozawa, Alexander, Murphy, Nese and Gulak. Some of these guys would probably thrive in NXT or as part of NXT UK.

At any rate, I could easily see Nese picking up the win here as Murphy has literally gone through everyone else on 205 Live.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm really looking forward to this match, it should be a hard hitting fight and Nese working as a face for a change should be interesting. I'm thinking Murphy is going to retain but I do think Nese could be the one to end his reign. It just feels too soon to have Nese win it and him coming up just short to Murphy will work well and could lead to Nese earning another opportunity at the belt at the next PPV, where he could overcome the onslaught from Murphy to become champ.

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Sometimes the WWE amazes me. This is one of those "they should do it, but they probably won't" scenarios.

Tony Nese is great all around, but he's every bit of the vanilla midget stereotype. 205 Live has a lot in common with NXT, in that either brand allows its talent to wrestle even if they're not spilling beer all over themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

14. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information