Thread: John Oliver is a Wrestling Fan

John Oliver is a Wrestling Fan

John Oliver is, for my money, the quickest wit of all tv hosts trying to satirize the news.

And he's apparently a fan of professional wrestling.

The following clip aired on March 31st.

Click for Spoiler:

Overall, it's a great segment in my opinion. John reveals to the public the reality that wrestlers working for the WWE aren't technically employees, and the segment is an indictment of Vince's abuse of them as independent contractors. While it has that serious tone, it's also amusing in that John Oliver comes across as a total pro-wrestling geek. He's very relatable it turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am also a wrestling fan.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After watching that segment of Last Week Tonight it reaffirmed my thoughts that John Oliver is the best political/news commentator going right now. He's so much better than Bill Maher it's pitiful.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They are not even on the same level. John Oliver has been simply amazing and he's a really convicing person. Have you ever not "agreed" with him? Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
    After watching that segment of Last Week Tonight it reaffirmed my thoughts that John Oliver is the best political/news commentator going right now. He's so much better than Bill Maher it's pitiful.
    Bill Maher is somebody I think of whenever you hear someone mention the "liberal elites." What I mean by that is Maher often comes off as so arrogant and so condescending, or so blasé about certain topics that matter to people or some of their deepest held beliefs, that it's easy to understand why so many people on both sides of the political spectrum dislike him. To him, his views on everything are superior and you're some sort of mud dwelling trog if you opinions on everything don't square up with his. Hell, sometimes the guy comes off a nihilistic as if nothing really matters or nothing is really important, at least that's the impression I got before I stopped paying attention to him.

He used to be vastly better than he is today, I dunno what's happened. Not that he isn't an intelligent man, God knows that's not true, but it's like he devotes more effort to being this smug bastard than he does for anything else.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

7. Likes SSJPhenom liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    Bill Maher is somebody I think of whenever you hear someone mention the "liberal elites." What I mean by that is Maher often comes off as so arrogant and so condescending, or so blasé about certain topics that matter to people or some of their deepest held beliefs, that it's easy to understand why so many people on both sides of the political spectrum dislike him. To him, his views on everything are superior and you're some sort of mud dwelling trog if you opinions on everything don't square up with his. Hell, sometimes the guy comes off a nihilistic as if nothing really matters or nothing is really important, at least that's the impression I got before I stopped paying attention to him.

He used to be vastly better than he is today, I dunno what's happened. Not that he isn't an intelligent man, God knows that's not true, but it's like he devotes more effort to being this smug bastard than he does for anything else.
    I used to love Mahar. I'd watch his show every week and think it was hilarious. Slowly, though, I started to realize that, as you said, if you didn't agree with him 100% then you were just wrong. Not only were you wrong; you were an idiot dumbass. The first time I noticed this was when he had an argument with Ben Affleck of all people over stereotyping Muslims. Some of the things that Mahar said during that conversation were very eye opening. Then, of course, I went back on YouTube and found clips of his old show Politically Incorrect and found the episode where Roddy Piper, Sting, Medusa, and Bobby Hennan were on and some of the things he said about wrestling, wrestlers, and wrestling fans was just horrible. Not to mention the things he said about comic book fans when Stan Lee passed away. The thing that's funny, though, is all of those people that he insulted saying those things are the people that are more than likely going to make up his fan base.

If you haven't seen any of the things that I'm talking about above you should definitely look them up. Bill Mahar his an asshole.

9. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
    I used to love Mahar. I'd watch his show every week and think it was hilarious. Slowly, though, I started to realize that, as you said, if you didn't agree with him 100% then you were just wrong. Not only were you wrong; you were an idiot dumbass. The first time I noticed this was when he had an argument with Ben Affleck of all people over stereotyping Muslims. Some of the things that Mahar said during that conversation were very eye opening. Then, of course, I went back on YouTube and found clips of his old show Politically Incorrect and found the episode where Roddy Piper, Sting, Medusa, and Bobby Hennan were on and some of the things he said about wrestling, wrestlers, and wrestling fans was just horrible. Not to mention the things he said about comic book fans when Stan Lee passed away. The thing that's funny, though, is all of those people that he insulted saying those things are the people that are more than likely going to make up his fan base.

If you haven't seen any of the things that I'm talking about above you should definitely look them up. Bill Mahar his an asshole.
    From what I remember, Bill rose to popularity when the only other option for hearing some political satire was Mark Russell. Politically Incorrect was where you could go to hear people react like normal people to the bullshit going on in the political world, so all Bill really had to do was acknowledge a news headline and make a topical wise-crack.

My biggest issue with Bill was when he created that documentary, "Religulous". I already knew that he was an egomaniac, but holy moly I had no idea of the extent until I saw that. I'm an Atheist, and I was appalled at how he was falsely attacking religious groups. The documentary didn't serve its intended purpose of encouraging us to consider that the world's religions are flawed, it served the secondary purpose of promoting Bill Maher as a revolutionary trend-setter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

11. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great post

Banned

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    i like wrestling too

Thread Information