Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Unusual Place Wrestling Has Come Up

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most Unusual Place Wrestling Has Come Up

While on our way home from dinner last night, one of my favorite songs, Ric Flair by Killer Mike came on. Killer Mike is a known fan of wrestling and has made references to Flair and Dusty Rhodes in the past in his songs. While his song Ric Flair doesn't reference Flair in the lyrics, the song is cut with interludes from famous Flair promos. I started to think of some other hip hop songs that reference pro wrestlers, either in the title or lyrics. Cam'ron has his own song called Ric Flair, in which he drops a few WOOOS! Action Bronson has a song called The Rockers and he makes references to their white boots and Marty Jannetty's dropkick. He has another song named after Barry Horowitz, which actually pissed Horowitz off. Madvillain drops a reference to Kurt Angle in Great Day. Danny Brown shouts out Flair (a common reference point) on El-P's Oh Hail No. So yeah, the hip hop community has long had a fascination with pro wrestling, especially the braggadocios style of Flair, but I wouldn't call shout outs in music that overly weird.

In TV shows, pro wrestling references pop up from time to time. One episode of Workaholics revolves around the guys trying to find a new TV in time to watch Wrestlemania. Roddy Piper had a recurring role as pro wrestler The Maniac in It's Always Sunny. The opening theme to Malcolm in the Middle featured a short clip of Bret Hart putting the Sharpshooter on Benoit. Sting once stared in a Sprite commercial where he beat up a small child. Again, not common but not super weird.

The occasional pro wrestling reference makes its way into pro sports. The Dallas Cowboys at one time used Ultimate Warrior's theme song to pump up the crowd on third downs. On more than one occasion I have been watching when an announcer call a tackle or collision an RKO out of nowhere. I saw a college football game where an announcer called a literal powerbomb tackle a Batista Bomb. Most references are mainstream, so not totally out of place.

For me the weirdest though, is this commercial.

How is John Cena's theme supposed to help sell cars?

So what about you? What is the strangest place or instance where you have seen something pro wrestling related pop up?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If we're talking Killer Mike and El-P, there's Blockbuster Night Part 1 by RTJ - and I quote:

"I Jake the Snake ‘em/ DDT ‘em in mausoleums/Macabre massacres killing cunts in my coliseum"

Most recently, I noticed the countdown the Celtics have to their games has the same sound effects as Chris Jericho's one. I'm not sure that really qualifies as a reference though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Fuck, how did I forget that one? For shame Yazzy, for shame.

While at dinner last night, one of the TVs had a college basketball game on and one guy behind one of the baskets had a giant blown up Hulk Hogan head he waved around when the opposing team would shoot free throws.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Oh, and I nearly forgot about that one weird time that Billy Gunn was in Sabrina the Teenage Witch:

Attachment 36

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Kevin Nash was as well, though not as himself. Ignore the video title.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A few years ago I went to a local Alternative Nightclub with some friends for Halloween, while at the bar I look up at the TV and notice that they were showing the 1992 Royal Rumble (if you're gonna show one of them, show one of the best). Then to my right I notice a bunch of guys dressed as the likes of Randy Savage, Hogan and Piper also watching. Either the bar staff noticed them and decided to put the show on, or it was one hell of a coincidence.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think I saw a commercial with John Cena promoting Tide laundry. That was odd.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    I think I saw a commercial with John Cena promoting Tide laundry. That was odd.
    Don't forget hefty and pistachios

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can't think of anything more bizarre than the Hulk Hogan Pastamania restaurant chain. Like I get that it shouldn't count because it was its own thing, not like Cena's music in a car commercial or rappers referencing wrestlers, but come on. Combining Hogan with Italian cuisine? Fuck out of here.

But if that's not up to par with this thread, then I'm going with Hulk Hogan and ALF in those 10-10-220 commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmgNDNr0PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzTqHAljNtQ

It was weird. ALF eats cats. Hulk rips shirts. What pop culture Hell is this even.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
    Don't forget hefty and pistachios
    Actually, it wasn't Tide, it was Hefty. Thank you.

Thread Information