Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its 5am and I am still drunk on Kofi

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its 5am and I am still drunk on Kofi

I just wanna share this because a lot of people know I am one of the biggest Kofi marks.

When I was 20 I tried to end my life and ended up in a psyche ward for a few days for treatment. When I got home, I was still incredibly depressed. My parents took me to dinner and then GameStop to try to cheer me up/distract me. I decided to get the latest Raw vs Smackdown on a whim as I hadn't watched wrestling in years, but was open to anything to take my mind off things. Thanks to the game I started to tune back into WWE on a weekly basis and saw this dreadlocked Jamaican who was always smiling and always happy. Obviously that was Kofi. Watching Kofi made me forget my troubles. Even if they were four minutes squash matches against Big Show or Jack Swagger, watching him go out and give his all with a smile on his face made me happy. He became the main reason I would watch each week, just hoping to see the Dreadlocked Dynamo in action. Sure, guys like Cena or Undertaker were bigger stars, but Kofi held a special place in my heart. Over the years I witnessed him put on good matches, win some titles, be featured with New Day, it was good. The whole time though, I wanted this man who helped me beat my suicidal thoughts to rise to greater heights.

There were times I thought it would never happen, much like I often think my depression will always control my life. I watched him come close here and there, the Elimination Chamber matches, the Royal Rumble saves, the year Sheamus won MITB and there was about a ten second period that Kofi was alone on tip of the ladder and I felt my heart skip beats. It never came to be though.

Skip ahead to the night Mustafa Ali was announced as injured and Kofi would take his places in the gauntlet match to determine the final entrant in the EC. I watched for an hour as this man I had cheered for more than anyone since I was a child overcame all the odds, only to fall. It felt relatable. To come so close, I related.

Over the last few weeks, Kofi's journey became my journey. His pursuit of the WWE Championship was exactly the same as my pursuit toward overcoming the suicidal thoughts that have plagued my mind for a decade now. When Kofi hit Trouble in Paradise and pinned Bryan for three, I thought to myself, you can do this too. You can beat your depression, you can defeat your suicidal thoughts.

It's so over dramatic, to be this invested in a scripted and pre-determined spectacle, but it gave me hope. That one day, if I keep trying, I can obtain what I never thought I could.

I had friends, some of you included, text me or Facebook message me and being excited for and wanting to share the moment with me. I was moved to literal tears and then cried more when I saw Xavier. That's what the win means to me. Hope.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    this is awesome dude respect for opening up about it

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    More than once I've seen wrestling, and what you might call a wrestling community, serve as a catalyst to bring people out of depression or help address other mental health concerns. Thanks for sharing this, Yaz. And of course, happy birthday!

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never change , Yaz. You have a tremendous heart.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I deeply appreciate you opening up like this man. So happy we shared a piece of that moment together.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Happy Birthday bro!
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    An article that one of my favourite bloggers wrote. I find the timing of it's publishing poignant to what Yaz has been incredible to share here;
    http://thespectacleofexcess.com/2019/04/09/real-time/

12. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was a beautiful moment. I had a tear in my eye, so I can only imagine how you felt Yaz. I know you've had your issues, we've known each other for a good while. I'm glad that you're overcoming and finding your inspiration from such a positive figure in Kofi. You know I've always got yer back man.

14. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That was beautiful Yaz. Simply beautiful. Here's to Kofi having the long reign he deserves and many more down the road.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yaz don't you daaaaaaaaaaaaaaareeeeeeeeeee be soooooooooooooourrrrrrrrrrrrr! <3

17. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information