Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The NXT Thread: It Must Breakk You

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: May 29, 2019
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Beth Phoenix, Mauro Ranallo

It’s the go home show for Takeover and that means we should be in for some nice final push segments towards the show. The card feels a little thrown together but that has never stopped NXT from making these things work before. If they do things right, we could be in for another classic. Let’s get to it.

Click on the link below for the full review.

I'm Not Sure About This One

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: June 5, 2019
    Commentators: Beth Phoenix, Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo

It’s a special show this week as we get the mostly recap show from Takeover. That’s fine as they haven’t had time to do a new set of tapings yet, but we’ll also have the two matches taped before the show. It might not make for the best show in the world, but it’s a fine enough way to go about doing things until we can get to what really matters. Let’s get to it.

We Need More Biff Fans

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: June 12, 2019
    Location: APGFCU Arena At Hartford Community College, Bel Air, Maryland
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo

We’re on the road again for the first regular show as we head towards Toronto in August. I’m not sure what to expect going forward, but we have about two months before the next Takeover, which should be enough time to set up something great. Hopefully things get back to normal around here, though even their off weeks are still good. Let’s get to it.

They're Coming For Canada

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Both NXT and NXT UK are delivering. NXT OG is still consistently better, in my opinion, but NXT UK looks to have found their rhythm over the past several months by, in many ways, copying the original NXT formula.

Aside from the consistency in booking being superior to the WWE main roster, FAR superior at that, both shows do something, again, that the main roster just doesn't and that's make the most of their time. That's not to say that every minute of NXT or NXT UK is epic or anything, but everything that happens does have a purpose whether that's showcasing the talent in a squash that isn't being done as time filler, promo segments as time filler, segments or matches used to set up future storylines or progress current storylines or introduce viewers to talent they haven't seen before. It also helps that you're not being beaten over the head with the same handful of wrestlers week in and week out while leaving everyone else flapping in the breeze.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: June 19, 2019
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo, Beth Phoenix

We’re back in Full Sail for the first real fallout show from Takeover and that means one thing: the Undisputed Era is going to get to have their big moment. Therefore, expect a lot of BAY-BAY’s and a tease of what is to come at Takeover: Toronto. I know it’s a pretty quick turnaround but the Summerslam show usually feels like their biggest of the year. Let’s get to it.

It's Pretty Undisputed

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Another good show from the Black & Gold brand last night.

The long format they used for the opening promo is something we see a whole lot of on Raw and SmackDown. The difference is that it felt novel here, it's not something that NXT does very often at all and it felt fresh. It also makes sense with Dream and Riddle coming out as Cole has had issues with both these guys long before he became NXT Champion, but Tyler Breeze feels forced to me. I like Breeze, but he just seems to be outclassed when you consider his far both Dream and Riddle have come; also Dream has gold, Riddle will have gold at some point while Breeze sorta comes off like a hanger on. At this point, I'm just not buying him as a credible threat to Adam Cole as NXT Champion. It was still a good segment overall though.

Damien Priest vs. Raul Mendoza was a good debut for Priest, who was well received by fans. It wasn't an outright squash as Mendoza got in some solid offense and while an outright squash might've been more appropriate, Mendoza is a guy that's fun to watch inside the ring and putting him in a match without a chance to see some of that does seem like a waste. Priest needs a new finisher, however, as Cross Rhodes just doesn't have the sort of impact for someone like him. A chokeslam, Last Ride powerbomb or something along those lines is much more fitting and impactful but, overall, a successful debut.

The video package to hype Baszler vs. Shirai II inside a steel cage on next week's show was really well done, as you might expect. The problem with a steel cage is that there'll be some sort of interference, cages aren't the impregnable structures they used to be and all promotions are guilty of hurting that mystique. Still, I have faith that NXT will pull it off in a way that feels fresh and impactful.

The Taynara Conti vs. Xia Li match wasn't exactly a masterpiece, but there was some good energy here and the crowd was into seeing both women do their thing. Conti has come a long way in selling herself as a character, doesn't hurt that she's a cute little thing either, but the match was rough at times. Conti has definite timing issues and the match was choppy sometimes.

They announced a single elimination tournament called the NXT Breakout Tournament that will feature 8 NXT wrestlers who haven't been on TV, yet who're almost certainly TV ready, with the winner getting a title shot at a championship of his choosing. What was unusual bout this is that they announced both the new NXT names for the wrestlers and their previous names on the indie scene in smaller print below. Some familiar faces were there, along with a few who may not be so familiar but have generated a lot of buzz, including Jordan Myles (ACH), Joaquin Wilde (DJZ/Zema Ion), Cameron Grimes (Trevor Lee), Isaiah "Swerve" Scott (Shane Strickland) and Angel Garza (Garza, Jr.). Could be a lot of fun if these guys get time to show some of what they bring to the table.

The six man tag main event was a lot of fun with the crowd hanging onto everything that went down. The ending made a lot of sense too as the heels needed to pull off a win and Strong pinning Dream, after Tyler Breeze had been tossed into him before Strong hit his finisher, was a nice touch as I think he needed a little boost. They teased some friction between the babyfaces, or rather there was tension due to Dream pushing them away, which makes sense as they're not allies so much as rivals who've gone after Dreams NAC in the past.

Overall, a very solid B to B+ show. As is the SOP, they made full use of the time they had to have every segment or match serve a purpose, storylines were progressed, new talent highlighted and thigns set up for the next couple of shows. Again, I have no idea why the main roster can't do this sort of thing.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

12. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: June 26, 2019
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo

We’re rapidly approaching Takeover: Toronto and that means things need to start coming together in a hurry. One such match that needs to be taken care of is a big main event on this week’s show as Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler defends against Io Shirai in a cage match. Let’s get to it.

Bask In Its Glory

14. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: July 3, 2019
    Commentators: Beth Phoenix, Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo

Things took a bit of a turn last week with Io Shirai turning full heel on Candice LeRae. That could make for some interesting changes as we head towards Toronto with that match being a potential TV main event between now and then. Other than that it’s time for more of the Breakout Tournament so let’s get to it.

Very Pleased To Meet You Both Again

16. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: July 10, 2019
    Commentators: Mauro Ranallo, Beth Phoenix, Nigel McGuinness

With about a month to go before Takeover: Toronto, it’s time to start getting things set up for the big show. In this case, that includes more instances of Adam Cole being a jerk about pizzas as we wait for Johnny Gargano to show up again and deal with him. As for tonight though, we have Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch getting a shot at the Tag Team Titles. Let’s get to it.

Slippage

18. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: July 17, 2019
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo, Beth Phoenix

It’s weird to say this but NXT is in a little bit of a funk. I don’t know if it’s the Breakout Tournament or Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole III not being the most inspiring story in the world, but the last few shows haven’t been the most thrilling the world. They’re not bad by any stretch, but when your standards are this high, anything but great is jarring. Let’s get to it.

Oh That's Better

20. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Thread Information