Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The NXT Thread: It Must Breakk You

You Never Know When You Might Stuff An Owl klunderbunker's Avatar
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: August 15, 2018
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Percy Watson, Mauro Ranallo

It’s the go home show for Takeover: Brooklyn and we now have a new main event of NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano in a Last Man Standing match. The big question now is who attacked Aleister Black, who was originally in the match but was found unconscious in the parking lot last week. Odds are that one is going to take some time to find out though so let’s get to it.

Click on the link below for the full review.

They're Going Home

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I love how they're deploying this Whodunnit in regards to Black's injury.

They brought all hands on deck to make everyone look like a suspect, and have begun some "investigative" journalism to figure out the culprit. We got UE fleeing the scene. Heavy Machinery are being a couple of Logan Pauls hovering over Black's unconscious body. Velveteen's upset about something. Lots of cool little easter eggs all over these. This is the kind of peripheral media storytelling I can get behind.

Rating my own suspects from Likely to Interesting:

Lars Sullivan - Also presently injured from his recent match with Aleister Black.
    Matt Riddle - Hell of a debut.
    Neville - Shut up and let me dream.

4. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Asteroids Champion! Simon Champion! Hexxagon Champion! Pinball - Budweiser Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: August 22, 2018
    Commentators: Mauro Ranallo, Percy Watson, Nigel McGuinness

This is another one of the special post-Takeover shows and that means we’ll be seeing a lot of Takeover instead of what we usually see around here. We do however have Pete Dunne defending the United Kingdom Title, which is a pretty good backup plan instead of a regular show. Let’s get to it.

Anyone Want To Beat This Guy?

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Solid post TakeOver show and I have a feeling that they're already laying some of the groundwork for WarGames in November. Bianca Belair continues to shine and it's always a treat watching Pete Dunne do his thing. It's been announced that Pete Dunne and Ricochet will team up next week to take on Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong; the next batch of NXT tapings should take place tonight so we'll ultimately see next week. The WarGames match, in my estimation, will look like the Undisputed Era vs. British Strong Style, which consists of Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate & Trent Seven, vs. the War Raiders & Ricochet.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: August 29, 2018
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Mauro Ranallo, Percy Watson

Every now and then you get a match that sounds so awesome on paper that it has to be great no matter what they do. That’s what we have tonight in the form of Pete Dunne teaming up with Ricochet to face the Undisputed Era in an all champions match. Other than that, the hunt for Aleister Black’s attacker continues. Let’s get to it.

Whodunneit?

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: September 5, 2018
    Commentators: Mauro Ranallo, Percy Watson, Nigel McGuinness

Every now and then you get a dream match, but this time we have a Dream match. The big main event this week is Velveteen Dream vs. Johnny Gargano after Dream interrupted Gargano’s promo/therapy session last week. Other than that we might be getting some more information about who attacked Aleister Black. Let’s get to it.

The Dream Match

12. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    NXT
    Date: September 12, 2018
    Commentators: Nigel McGuinness, Percy Watson, Mauro Ranallo

We’re still in the hunt for Aleister Black’s attacker and that can make for some interesting television. Other than that though, the big story seems to be Johnny Gargano finally cracking and not being able to keep going as Johnny Wrestling due to losing everything that matters to him, including the fans’ support. Let’s get to it.

Oh That's Going Somewhere

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Merchandise, music, and serving as the face of NXT; we've all been busy watching Gargano become Ciampa that we've ignored Ciampa inherit everything Gargano wants to be.

15. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by @smarkmouth View Post
    Merchandise, music, and serving as the face of NXT; we've all been busy watching Gargano become Ciampa that we've ignored Ciampa inherit everything Gargano wants to be.
    Well done bro.

I wish I could understand it myself. But still thanks.

17. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    To kick things off for this week's NXT episode, we saw Dakota Kai & Deonna Purrazzo vs. Lacey Evans & Aliyah. I thought it was a solid 2.5, maybe 2.75 star, 7.5 minute bout in which the ladies got to show some of their stuff. These four going at it over the next few months should be a solid mid-card feud for the women, Purrazzo is still finding her legs in NXT, Dakota Kai continues to be an adorable, scrappy babyface that puts me in mind of Bailey in a lot of ways, Aliyah showed off her new heel persona and Lacey Evans continues to grow on me. The heels worked quite well together and I dug the aggression, I'm still not overly wild about Evans "Woman's Right" finisher as it's basically just a punch to the face, it's just too simplistic and just seems more in line with something that Shayna Baszler. Still, via a blind tag made to Evans by Aliyah just before Dakota puts her in an O'Connor Roll, the heels win via Evans hitting the Woman's Right. Solid overall.

Up next is a recap of Nikki Cross and Bianca Belair from last week and a follow up interview from Belair backstage just after the match. I sorta liked that Bianca wasn't quite as cocky as she usually is, it was subtle and far from anything over the top but just that little bit worked given her place on the roster because Nikki's level of crazy rocking her a little feels appropriate. I liked their match last week and I'm expecting more out of the follow up.

Jaxon Ryker, AKA Gunner from TNA, vs. Humberto Carrillo was a solid squash for Ryker, though it was odd that his Forgotten Sons brethren weren't at ringside. Ryker slams Carrillo here and there for a bit before hitting a slingshot powerbomb for the win. It was solid enough, but not nearly as impressive as watching Lars Sullivan doing it.

We get another segment in William Regal's office, interviewing Candice LaRae about what she might know about who attacked Aleister Black. Candace, naturally, points the finger at Tommaso Ciampa even though Regal is reluctant to believe that Ciampa did it and mentions to Candice the various emotional issues of Johnny Gargano as of late. It's an intriguing whodunit so far and part of the reason why is that they're not running it into the ground; if this was on the main roster, you'd probably have 2 or 3 segments every week shown on TV or there'd be times that the entire show would be wrapped around the notion and they'd burn through 3 months worth of potential angles inside of 3 weeks. It'd get to the point where we'd be so sick of it that I'd want to stand up at a house show or Raw taping with a megaphone screaming "It was me!!! I'm the one who took out Black. I was also the other man on the grassy knoll in Dallas back in '63 and I also shot JR!!!" As to who the culprit turns out, my guess it might be someone new to NXT like Matt Riddle or Keith Lee.

The main event was the first champion vs. champion match in NXT history, Ricochet vs. Pete Dunne, with both the WWE UK and NXT North American Championships on the line. This was a fucking stellar main event, just really incredible work from these two kids as they just delivered an epic 22 minute bout that just had pretty much anything any remotely reasonable wrestling fan could ask for. Initially, they started out with Dunne and Ricochet doing some mat wrestling and trading submission holds, which again shows that Ricochet is and can be more than just a flippy guy and I liked the story of Ricochet trying to match Dunne here but ultimately regretting it as maybe Dunne was a little too good here, so he'd eventually have to change his tactics to employ more of his own athleticism and striking ability to make things more even. Watching Dunn manipulate the fingers and wrist of an opponent always makes me cringe as it could be so very easy to really do some damage to somebody. I mean, just a few more pounds of pressure or maybe pulling back on an angle at just a few more degrees could just obliterate someone's fingers and Ricochet did a very nice job of selling the effects throughout the match as, at various points, Dunne would go back to doing things like even stomping on his fingers. The crowd at Full Sail was on its feet from bell to bell and I enjoyed it so much that I'm sorely tempted to go full 5 stars on this. The end comes after both guys are just down on the mat after having just spent about 22 minutes just kicking the crap out of each other and the Undisputed Era comes out and begins beating them down, only for the War Raiders to make the save and run the UE off. The fans applauded the efforts of both men, rightly so, as each eyed the other across the ring, exhausted but also out of respect. The only thing that might give me pause on giving this a full 5 star rating was because of the ending; had we gotten a decisive winner then I don't see how there could be any doubt. The ending didn't hurt the match, it's just that a match like this ending with a clear winner would have left no real doubt. Also, it was all part of maybe setting up WarGames a little bit down the line and because NXT doesn't do stuff like this often at all, it's just one of the many little details that NXT nails and just helps it come off as a much more well rounded product than the main roster. So yeah, all in all, this was easily a 4.75 star bout, possibly even a 5 star if you just enjoyed it enough. This could have headlined any TakeOver special or ppv and ultimately, what it did more than anything is make me want to see these two go at it again later on down the line with a decisive winner.

For the most part, the show was the typical solid fair for the show while the main event has to be one of the top matches of 2018 in any promotion that I've seen this year and I've seen lots of great stuff from WWE, NXT and New Japan. I give the show an A.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Thread Information