Page 86 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Wrestling Thoughts That Float Through My Mind...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    [QUOTE=Storm Trooper;41899]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
    And DX blackface is gone.

*sigh* Look, I understand that times have changed, and I don't condone using someone's race as a means to insult or belittle someone. But whether right or wrong, the purpose of the Network should be first and foremost archival and allowing people to witness things as they were. There are age ratings that exist as is, why not have cultural sensitivity ratings or something, and let people know what is and isn't OK in present year? Don't just yeet it to the confines of piracy, put a warning before the content or something, hell, do anything that doesn't include just wiping the content from the network altogether.
    Yeah fuck that shit.

WWE can put whatever the fuck they want on their network. NBCUniversal can put whatever the hell they want on Peacock. The segment does not fit with NBC's Standards and Practices. As such they won't air it. And in all honesty they shouldn't as it is pretty abhorrent.

And you are 100% wrong about the purpose of the WWE Network. It is not archival. It is to make money. That's what they did. to the point of $1 BILLION dollars.

No we don't, unless the network airing it chooses to, in which case they will do so.
    Found the snowflake.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm sure even Disney Plus are keeping minstrels in their older animation. Just with a warning.

Not that I would notice these edits if I wasn't told.

Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't know about you, but I don't want a private corporation dictating what I and others can and can't watch based on subjective feelings of sensitivity. People like you who find it abhorrent (which is a perfectly acceptable viewpoint to hold) do not have to watch it. People who do want to watch it, or otherwise don't mind it should still have the liberty to do so without having to trawl through pirated reuploads on Dailymotion. The idea that watching these things will make people racist is the same line of thinking that watching violent movies or playing violent games will inherently make people violent.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of the consumer, something that unless you're a representative of WWE or Peacock you should otherwise be in favour of. The purpose on their end might be to make money. The purpose for the consumer is to have access to a plethora of content at hand.
    The point is that this has literally happened throughout the entirety of history with virtually every network and virtually every company. I don't know why you all of a sudden expect NBC/WWE to give you 100% of their entire library the way YOU want it. They never did that before in either companies entire history, they give you what THEY want to give you.

I'm looking at it from a capitalism perspective because we live in a capitalist society. Both companies can do as they wish with their own product and the consumer has zero say in what material they release. If you don't like that, fine, but you're whining "give me what I want" even though they don't have any obligation to do so.

Why weren't you whining about them not releasing 100% of their video library 20 years ago?
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They're not legally obligated to release anything. The issue is erasing content based on what society now deems inappropriate. Where do you draw the line?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    The point is that this has literally happened throughout the entirety of history with virtually every network and virtually every company. I don't know why you all of a sudden expect NBC/WWE to give you 100% of their entire library the way YOU want it. They never did that before in either companies entire history, they give you what THEY want to give you.
    You seem to be mistaking the point of the argument I'm making. I have not said they don't have the right to do this, I'm criticising their decision to remove content that was once available because some people might be offended by it. Those people have the option to not watch it if they don't want to. Put a cultural sensitivity rating on it, rather than pretending it didn't exist, don't take it away from everyone.

I'm looking at it from a capitalism perspective because we live in a capitalist society. Both companies can do as they wish with their own product and the consumer has zero say in what material they release. If you don't like that, fine, but you're whining "give me what I want" even though they don't have any obligation to do so.
    Then you're doing your role wrong as a consumer. A consumer shouldn't be happy that content that was once up there is now no longer accessible. I get the impression that you're left-wing; so shouldn't you be opposed to a corporate entity having so much control on the social?

Why weren't you whining about them not releasing 100% of their video library 20 years ago?
    The only things they've not released are stuff that are legally ambiguous and/or almost objectively morbid such as the death of Owen Hart, and Droz's paralysis.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That DX promo was also A1 entertainment. Fuck you Peacock!

Gazzoline Deluxe Champion! Mutant Snowmen Champion! Monstor buster Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They're not legally obligated to release anything. The issue is erasing content based on what society now deems inappropriate. Where do you draw the line?
    The thing is it isn't erasing. A new network, that has its own Standards and Practices, has the streaming rights to the footage. They choose to not air it, which is their decision to make, not the consumers.

And if a reasonable person finds something inappropriate, I'm perfectly fine with it not being readily available, especially on a service that is all-ages and has stricter Standards and Practices.

And yes, DX in blackface was inappropriate back in 1998. WWE just didn't care back then.

You seem to be mistaking the point of the argument I'm making. I have not said they don't have the right to do this, I'm criticising their decision to remove content that was once available because some people might be offended by it. Those people have the option to not watch it if they don't want to. Put a cultural sensitivity rating on it, rather than pretending it didn't exist, don't take it away from everyone.
    As I just said, it isn't being removed. It's not being carried by a new provider. While there's no real difference from the consumers end, there's a BIG difference in the grand scheme of things.

Then you're doing your role wrong as a consumer. A consumer shouldn't be happy that content that was once up there is now no longer accessible. I get the impression that you're left-wing; so shouldn't you be opposed to a corporate entity having so much control on the social?
    Actually, the consumers role is to purchase something. I'm fine with it because I'm still getting my moneys worth. More so now that it's 50% cheaper. And as someone who mainly uses the WWE Network for live wrestling and new shows, I really don't care as much about the backlog. Also, a lot of this shit I never once went back and watched. If I wanted to see the DX/Nation thing I'd watch the clip on Youtube, not hunt for it on WWE Network. Hell I have no idea what episode it happened on to find it on the Network.

And I'm not left wing. I'm in the middle, but really apolitical. I'm just looking at this logically, and legally.

The only things they've not released are stuff that are legally ambiguous and/or almost objectively morbid such as the death of Owen Hart, and Droz's paralysis.
    In all honesty the way you're talking you should be pissed that those segments weren't on it and be complaining about that too. Also, the Benoit RAW wasn't on the (original) WWE Network at all. In it's place was a best of 2007 or something (I think that was sent out to international markets that week instead of the Benoit Tribute).
    IYO SKY, Shotzi, Bayley, Gigi Dolan, Alba Fyre, Asuka, Kayla Braxton.

Quote Originally Posted by #RicSolarFlair View Post
    It's good having trooper back.
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Still Here. LD regular.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I just said, it isn't being removed. It's not being carried by a new provider. While there's no real difference from the consumers end, there's a BIG difference in the grand scheme of things.
    No, there's a HUGE difference on the consumers end because there is content that was once available that is no longer available for viewing unless you want to pirate it or watch it illegally. This is nothing a cultural sensitivity or political correctness rating could not solve, like what already exists with age ratings.

Actually, the consumers role is to purchase something. I'm fine with it because I'm still getting my moneys worth. More so now that it's 50% cheaper. And as someone who mainly uses the WWE Network for live wrestling and new shows, I really don't care as much about the backlog. Also, a lot of this shit I never once went back and watched. If I wanted to see the DX/Nation thing I'd watch the clip on Youtube, not hunt for it on WWE Network. Hell I have no idea what episode it happened on to find it on the Network.
    So you're not personally affected by the change. In that case, why are you happy to see it removed in the first place if you don't even care to watch that era of content to begin with? I think most people who watch it are smart enough to not suddenly become racist because of it; as far as I could tell, mocking the Nation on a racial basis wasn't even the point of the promo from what I can tell re-watching it.

In all honesty the way you're talking you should be pissed that those segments weren't on it and be complaining about that too. Also, the Benoit RAW wasn't on the (original) WWE Network at all. In it's place was a best of 2007 or something (I think that was sent out to international markets that week instead of the Benoit Tribute).
    No, because I accept there's legal precedent in my examples and that wasn't motivated by subjective sensitivities; keeping a show up that honoured a child murderer after he had committed the crime is far worse than being politically incorrect.

"We are not entitled to our opinions. We are entitled to our informed opinions." - Harlan Ellison (1934 - 2018)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The thing is it isn't erasing. A new network, that has its own Standards and Practices, has the streaming rights to the footage. They choose to not air it, which is their decision to make, not the consumers.

And if a reasonable person finds something inappropriate, I'm perfectly fine with it not being readily available, especially on a service that is all-ages and has stricter Standards and Practices.

And yes, DX in blackface was inappropriate back in 1998. WWE just didn't care back then.
    They're removing the only legal way to watch specific parts of shows because a corporation/part of society finds them inappropriate. Call it whatever you want lol.

The issue is defining what's inappropriate. Everything you've listed in this thread and much more could be considered inappropriate. There's some no-brainers such as Owen Hart's death and the Chris Benoit tribute show. There's a LOT more that isn't. It's a very complicated issue and shouldn't be dismissed with the logic of "corporations can do whatever they want".

10. Likes Fallout liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They've kept the Owen Hart and Droz incidents in the vault since they first occurred, so it's entirely understandable as to why those never became public. The Benoit tribute show came down to them lacking information about the tragedy, and was never uploaded to the Network for viewing in the first place, WWE immediately took it back when the details became apparent. If there are any other examples of WWE not releasing certain footage, point them out.

The issue is removing content that had already been approved for the Network previously. Would you be OK if they took down Benoit's entire library of matches and scrubbed the Network clean of him?

Thread Information