Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why WWE brought Goldberg back

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why WWE brought Goldberg back

According to Dave Meltzer, WWE only brought Goldberg back so he wouldn't sign with AEW.

It's probably a smart move from WWE. I don't think Goldberg would ever sign with AEW, but if the money's right, he'd certainly consider it. Of course throwing a lot of money at past-their-prime WWE legends might not be a good idea in the long-term, even though he would get some eyes on the product.

2. Likes Jack-Hammer, EnviousDominous liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm all for seeing Goldberg in more explosive 5 minute matches like his last Mania appearance.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, Wildcat66 liked this post
    Overreliance on past their prime stars, far past their prime in some cases, is part of the many woes, in my opinion, that's taken its toll on WWE. Questionable booking, outdated view points, completely disregarding the interests of fans and others are significant ones as well, but Vince has made a mistake similar to what we saw happen in WCW. How often have you seen posts in threads or heard someone say aloud that stars of today don't remotely compare with those of 20 to 30 years back? More than a few would be my guess and Vince's approach to creating and sustaining stars hs changed dramatically over the last 15 years or so. After all, he's basically hamstrung WWE creative with limitations that's enough to drive writers up the wall, the wrestlers themselves, even most of the biggest stars, don't have remotely the sort of creative input they did 20+ years ago, Vince is catering more to his own tastes in many situations rather than the tastes of many within his audience. Hell, Vince no longer even allows the wrestlers in his company to speak their own words during promos, the vast majority of them at least, and when you put all these factors together, what you have are wrestlers that might be far more athletic and technically sound, in many cases, inside the ring than previous generations, but you don't have the character depth and personality to sink your teeth into. It's reflected in declining ratings and attendance but rather than changing his approach to things in order to create a more exciting product, Vince opens up his checkbook and starts tossing around money to any major player that's still able to lace up his own boots and can be reasonably controlled. Maybe if Vince tried to do things a different way, admitted that catering his wrestling product to his own tastes first while putting the actual audiences second isn't working out and tried to change it then maybe he wouldn't have to worry about spending millions of dollars on the Over the Hill gang like Taker, Goldberg, Kane, Batista, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, the Rock or mercenaries who wouldn't give a crap if WWE failed as long as it didn't happen before cashing his last check like Brock Lesnar. Maybe he also wouldn't be so paranoid about AEW but if AEW does eventually thrive, it'll be in large part because of the wrestling environment that Vince has spent much of the last 20 years creating.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Arab money is why Vince brought Goldberg back. Not because of AEW, not because of a reliance on past stars and definitely not because Vince needs his limousine window punching through. Itâ??s the Arab dollars and thereâ??s a lot of them being chucked at WWE.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Saudi shows are non-canon. Just ask Shawn Michaels.

10. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No, because Prince Alli wanted The Ultimate Warrior again but Vince told him he's still dead so he wants Goldberg now. Money talks.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think I'm going to pass on this year's Saudi show.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

13. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    All Elite Wrestling has all the hallmarks of WCW when they started. Tony Khan's Dad is a billionaire, and he seems excited about throwing his money at his son's prowrestling project. They could easily pay for Goldberg to be a permanent part of their show, and Goldberg would probably be all too happy to cut promos attacking the WWE.

I usually scoff at "Dave Meltzer said" stories, but this one seems plausible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

15. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Maybe they wanted Goldberg because he draws some money? I think that's probably the case. Hardcore fans may hate him, but his name means something and a match with Undertaker is a big deal, even in 2019.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm guessing it has something to do with money and Saudi officials wanting to see him

18. Likes Jack-Hammer liked this post

Thread Information