Thread: AEW Double or Nothing - Adam Page vs PAC cancelled due to creative differences

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AEW Double or Nothing - Adam Page vs PAC cancelled due to creative differences

From what I understand, PAC (formerly Neville) didn't want to lose since he was Dragon Gate Champion, and AEW didn't want Page to lose because they have big plans for him in the near future. AEW also doesn't want to do screwy finishes, so they've decided to cancel the match entirely.

This isn't the biggest deal, but it's a bad look. AEW says they have a better match planned.

2. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    Some think it's a work and that this was the plan all along or that it's a recent development as we're a week out from Double or Nothing. Then, someone like Jon Moxley or even CM Punk pops up, the crowd goes wild, etc..

If it's legit, then it's just the pitfall of working with other promotions sometimes. Both sides have legitimate positions here though I feel PAC has the stronger one. He's the top champion in Dragon Gate right now while Adam Page is, comparatively speaking, the nobody among the Elite. After all, when Cody was winning ROH & NWA World Championships, when the Bucks were winning every tag team title they wrestled for and while Omega became, arguably, the most talked about non-WWE wrestler in the world over the past few years, what was Page doing besides riding their coattails?

PAC and Dragon Gate are said to be taking his run as champ seriously and while they're willing to work with other companies, they don't want to lose. For instance, PAC has recently fought a couple of 30 minute draws, including one against Zack Sabre, Jr., but, reportedly, AEW doesn't want to resort to that or DQs, especially on their first official show. I completely understand and agree with AEW's stance on this, they should have definitive winners and losers on their first show rather than resorting to cheap finishes. I don't think either side is "wrong", they just have different priorities and each company is trying to watch out for its own interest. Again, that's just something that's gonna come up sometimes when you import other wrestlers from the bigger companies to appear on your shows. Of course, it also makes you wonder a little bit if AEW is ultimately going to be about the Elite pushing themselves and their friends more at the expense of the rest of the roster. They've talked a good game about being different and being all about opportunities and all that but, as of right now, it's just talk.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

4. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    But losses don't harm anybody if booked correctly.

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If true, fuck PAC and Dragon Gate. They'd rather do 30 minute Draws and make the fans unhappy than to see PAC lose.

You'd think PAC would've had a discussion about this being one of the first guys signed and all. With DoN less than a week away, this is even more bizarre. So we're probably looking at some weird Elite metanarrative at work. Makes more sense than putting a company the nerdiest fans don't care about on a pedestal compared to the forthcoming second biggest promotion in the country. Surely one of these pays more than the other.

I also don't see a problem with Elite booking themselves over various talent, even PAC. If The Elite are the ones pulling in the money, it only makes sense to win. That and Elite being the guys to beat can't be any worse than Stephanie McMahon always getting the last word in or Trips winning crappy, drawn out matches. And there's Shane.

If we can stomach that, we can stomach Page getting one win off of PAC.

8. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bit of a clarification here:

PAC was planned to beat Page at Double or Nothing and then face Omega (who is apparently going over Jericho) at the next event. Their two matches are basically a tournament. The problem is AEW wants Omega to beat PAC, and Dragon Gate doesn't want PAC to lose while he's still their champion.

I think Dragon Gate is in the wrong here. Omega going over PAC wouldn't hurt their championship at all. However AEW has to understand that other companies aren't always going to comply with their plans.

10. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information