Thread: That Game of Thrones Ending (with spoilers)

That Game of Thrones Ending (with spoilers)

A great show came to an end recently, and everyone that I know virtually and in real life who watch the show seems to have the opinion that it ended like someone ripped a massive fart in church. Like, the priest was giving a rousing sermon and everyone was on the edge of their pew with anticipation of the soon-to-be thrilling climax and the show let off an attack of rump-thunder that was so violent that it actually caused the ground to vibrate.

I didn't feel that way though, I was just happy that I was given a conclusion where Tyrion survives. Plus, I'm apparently the only person on planet Earth who doesn't hate Bran.

For me, season 8 was like if they took what would have been 4 seasons of content and smushed them all into a meat-grinder. It wasn't a great season, I'll admit that.

I feel that the attack of the White Walkers on Winterfell should have been a season finale, and a two-parter with the first episode ending with the walkers breaching the fire trench. Also; he's the fucking Night King. He shouldn't have died like that, being a doofus for a split-second.

Any-who, I'd also like to say that fans of the show need to lighten up. Specifically, the million fans that signed onto this petition

I realize that fans successfully got the developers of Mass Effect to redo the Mass Effect 3 ending, but good fucking grief. The ending to Game of Thrones wasn't THAT bad, okay.

I see that a lot of people wanted Jon to sit on the iron throne. They don't go so far as to explain exactly how that would make sense from a storytelling perspective if they started from the end of season 7, where it's already been established that Dany wants the iron throne more than anything and that Jon is the rightfully heir to it. I hate to be one of those people, I really do, but I'm honestly a little relieved that the show is over.

A season takes an entire damn year to produce and put on the air, and for my money I waited 8 damn years to see what all the hubbub with Bran was. I'm satisfied to see that he became the three-eyed raven, and I'm satisfied to see that he ended up as the ruler of the six kingdoms. The title "Bran the Broken" is a bit ableist, as has been pointed out, but for fuck's sake. This is motherfucking Westeros, and he's the fucking king. Sometimes nicknames that can be construed as disparaging are marks of honor, and are respected.

I'm not going to go on a full rant about how poisoned some people are by the toxic concoction of their ego mixed with an addiction to a massive social media following. But, I will say that social media has given some people the delusion that everything that ever occurs is worthy of their snarky opinion and that social media has caused the term "fair opinion" the be an oxymoron.

So basically what I'm asking the forum is, do you love or hate Bran? What makes you feel that way about Bran the most? Would you be willing to sit with me a write a song about your feelings for Bran? Does Bran eat bran? BRAN BRAN BRAN BRAN BRAN BRAN BRAN BRAN!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

2. Likes Spidey liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Personally, I didn't like the last 2 episodes as it seemed like character arcs were completely thrown out the window. It was almost as if the people you had been cheering for for the past 7 seasons got the villain sendoffs and vice versa. I mean, there were a few main characters that got the ending I felt they deserved; Sansa and Tyrion mostly, but I'm not going to lie and say that I was thrilled with the fate of Dany, Jon, Jamie, Cersei, and Arya. The Hound went out as he inevitably should have and I will admit that Bran was probably the best ruler for Westeros in the end, but that doesn't make seeing him as the king any more satisfying. Also, Bran's supposed to be the wisest man in the world, and he makes Bronn his master of coin? The fuck's up with that?

I don't know, I could go into this in detail but short version; Jamie had a great 4-5 season redemption arc that meant nothing. Dany's descent into madness was WAY too rushed as it seemed like she turned into a baddie literally overnight. What was the point of Cersei dying by a collapsed building? Jon getting exiled back to the Night's Watch was ok, but again, pretty lame for pretty much the penultimate character. And the guy who's been on a 3 season acid trip ends up on the throne.

Call me a shitty fan if you want, but I can very much see why people are so disappointed with the ending. And this is coming from a guy who was completely fine with the way that Lost ended, so I wouldn't really call myself a nit-picker when it comes to this type of stuff.

4. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

I thought the finale was fine. Completely watchable with a few feel good moments. Sure, they could have done more with Dany's motives though personally I felt they covered it well enough in Tyrion's and Dany herself's conversation with Jon. She's the hotheaded conqueror who hotheaded conquered too hard and isn't sorry because she's obviously the good hotheaded conqueror. She sees only black and white. Simple, maybe too simple, but it's still a reason why she acted evil.

Bran was unexpected but a better choice than anyone there. I usually hear people have a moan about Sansa, not Bran. This whole time I've been a Sansa apologist and to see her pretty much take Dany's Good Path was satisfying for me.

I can't think of a single hit TV show who's end was praised by fans except for maybe Breaking Bad, and I'd argue it wasn't really a hit until a few seasons in. Thrones doesn't deserve the crap it's getting, and that petition is toxic fandom at its finest.

Tyrion said it best, "No one is very happy, which is a good compromise I suppose." That line really summed up Thrones for me since the beginning.

Fair enough conclusion to one of the best shows on television.
    Last edited by Spidey; 05-21-2019 at 12:05 PM.

6. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
    Personally, I didn't like the last 2 episodes as it seemed like character arcs were completely thrown out the window. It was almost as if the people you had been cheering for for the past 7 seasons got the villain sendoffs and vice versa. I mean, there were a few main characters that got the ending I felt they deserved; Sansa and Tyrion mostly, but I'm not going to lie and say that I was thrilled with the fate of Dany, Jon, Jamie, Cersei, and Arya. The Hound went out as he inevitably should have and I will admit that Bran was probably the best ruler for Westeros in the end, but that doesn't make seeing him as the king any more satisfying. Also, Bran's supposed to be the wisest man in the world, and he makes Bronn his master of coin? The fuck's up with that?
    True all that. I was a bit miffed that Arya spent all that time learning to be a badass assassin who can do uncanny impersonations of literally anyone, and all we got out of that was when she killed off the Freys. She didn't technically put any of those skills to work when she shanked The Night King, we have to assume that maybe she used her powers of sneakiness to ease past the wights. Did she wear a wight mask? Who knows.

Meh, I like Bronn. He had the best one-liners of anyone else. I figure that Tyrion was all "I promised him all of this shit, and a Lannister always you know" to which Bran said "Whatever, I already saw this happening five days ago."

I don't know, I could go into this in detail but short version; Jamie had a great 4-5 season redemption arc that meant nothing. Dany's descent into madness was WAY too rushed as it seemed like she turned into a baddie literally overnight. What was the point of Cersei dying by a collapsed building? Jon getting exiled back to the Night's Watch was ok, but again, pretty lame for pretty much the penultimate character. And the guy who's been on a 3 season acid trip ends up on the throne.
    I think we would have been a little more accepting of Dany's nuclear meltdown if she had chosen to do a few more evil things before hand. Killing Varys wasn't necessarily evil, that dude way overstepped and I don't think any fans had an emotional connection to him. I think that Dany should have done something like attack Winterfell, or something that would have more reasonably pushed Jon past the breaking point.

Cersei really should have had another ace up her sleeve. It just wasn't in line with her character development for her to be all "Wahh! I want to live!" before getting smushed by bricks. It was a pretty anti-climactic send-off.

I honestly really liked the Bran character. He spends all that time on his pilgrimage and practically turns into Professor X. The Lord of Light can be very hit-or-miss when it comes to the powers vested by him, Bran is the motherfucking Three Eyed Raven and he gives zero fucks about something as intense as The Night King strutting up to him. Nothing will get past him, he'll be nipping problems in the bud before they even get to the bud-phase. Team Bran all the way.

Call me a shitty fan if you want, but I can very much see why people are so disappointed with the ending. And this is coming from a guy who was completely fine with the way that Lost ended, so I wouldn't really call myself a nit-picker when it comes to this type of stuff.
    Never got into Lost to be honest. I saw one episode and was like "90% of that was flashback, and the other 10% was a fat guy deciding to destroy a cache of food because he was afraid of how it would make people act".

I can also see why people would be disappointed, but to some it's as if the show's writers insulted their dead relatives. I have a few ideas of why they felt that they had to rush the show, but (like yourself) I also have a life. Unlike some of these superfans running around Twitter and Change.org, none of my problems in this world include "GAME OF THRONES ENDED WEIRD!"

That is literally the greatest sentence I have ever read in my life.

Thank you Sir.

I thought the finale was fine. Completely watchable with a few feel good moments. Sure, they could have done more with Dany's motives though personally I felt they covered it well enough in Tyrion's and Dany herself's conversation with Jon. She's the hotheaded conqueror who hotheaded conquered too hard and isn't sorry because she's obviously the good hotheaded conqueror. She sees only black and white. Simple, maybe too simple, but it's still a reason why she acted evil.
    I get Dany wanting to be all "FUCK YOUR SURRENDER BITCH! TORA MOTHERFUCKING TORA!" after seeing Missandei get beheaded and after Euron killed Rhaegal. Playing the armchair quarterback as I often do, I probably would have had Dany do something that personally affected Jon. Chats with Tyrion are great, but from what I saw Jon was just like "There's a possibility that she might attack Winterfell someday, I better stab her to death just to be safe."

I dunno, Jon would have been the only person who could have gotten that close to Dany, or even have enough of a reputation as a "good guy" to be allowed to live afterward. I understand that it had to be him, but I just wish it happened for a reason that we could better relate to.

Bran was unexpected but a better choice than anyone there. I usually hear people have a moan about Sansa, not Bran. This whole time I've been a Sansa apologist and to see her pretty much take Dany's Good Path was satisfying for me.
    I'm glad that Sansa got something out of her season long bouts with horrific abuse. All the talky-talk that went on among other people about how rulers shouldn't be tyrants and love conquers all seemed to have an opposite effect on the people who they were directed toward, Sansa seems like she'll be a kind and wise ruler with a reputation for being a badass when she needs to be. At that meeting, everyone was all "Sure, whatever keeps me safe" and she was the only person who had the guts to break from tradition and state that she was going to establish a kingdom in the North and that Bran's endorsement is really just a formality.

I can't think of a single hit TV show who's end was praised by fans except for maybe Breaking Bad, and I'd argue it wasn't really a hit until a few seasons in. Thrones doesn't deserve the crap it's getting, and that petition is toxic fandom at its finest.

Tyrion said it best, "No one is very happy, which is a good compromise I suppose." That line really summed up Thrones for me since the beginning.

Fair enough conclusion to one of the best shows on television.
    I read the wording of the petition and of your average individual that signed it, and my eyes are going to be aching all day from the amount of times I had to roll them. I don't think that it's a millennial thing, I think that it's an Information Age thing. If this were 50 years ago, those same people would be shouting those opinions to their pet hamster. Human beings have always been some toxic summabitches, now we're able to see first-hand just how much time and energy we're willing to piss away to remedy a foolishly perceived wrong.

I really hope that the producers over at HBO don't feed these idiots, and just let the sun set on one of my favorite shows.

Thread Information