Thread: Conflicting Reports Over AEW Name Drop

Conflicting Reports Over AEW Name Drop

I think it's fair to say that Sami Zayn actually mentioning AEW on Raw this past Monday caught pretty much everyone by surprise. The live crowd gave a bit of a collective gasp and a small "AEW" chant started and lasted for 5 or 6 seconds.

According to Dave Meltzer, the name drop was scripted into the segment while Brian Alvarez states that it wasn't. Alvarez has stated that some people have told Meltzer that it was scripted but that a greater number of people have told him that it wasn't and that Vince was furious. Also, now you've got Vince Russo fanning the conspiracy theory flames by stating that WWE and AEW are "in bed together" as WWE would never mention AEW on the air unless there was some sort of arrangement between the two.

WWE itself has muddied the waters a bit with its own actions. There's a 15 second time delay on WWE television and they could have edited out Zayn's mention of AEW, just as they edit out the bigger swear words that the wrestlers sometimes say during their matches. However, WWE did edit out that part when Raw was uploaded to YouTube, according to reports.

There are also others who don't believe it was scripted and that Sami Zayn did it in the hopes of being released by WWE. This one has the least validity to me, which says a lot, as Vince doesn't just release people these days unless he feels they have absolutely nothing whatsoever to offer the competition, such as Tye Dillinger. If Zayn went into business for himself, then Vince will probably use the rest of Zayn's contract to make his life miserable by trying to embarrass him in various idiotic segments that nobody but Vince himself finds amusing or burying him so deep that he'll be even less prominent than he is now in terms of success, at least success beyond being on TV each week.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The number of people who suggest that unhappy wrestlers under WWE contract just do something to get fired is absurd. It's a bad look if you go off script in WWE with the intention of getting fired. Who is to say you won't turn around and do that in AEW or Impact or ROH or NJPW? I know people wanna act like AEW is gonna put WWE out of business in six months and is gonna be all sugar plums and gum drops for wrestling fans, but its asinine to think anyone would do that or suggest they do it. AEW is still a business and they can't and won't hire people who deliberately screw stuff up, and act unprofessional.

I feel like it probably was scripted, but Vince or someone with some say, like a sponsor, came to regret it/didn't like it after it aired so now they are editing it. That said, WWE edits a lot of of their YT content so you miss stuff and are more likely to tune into the live show to catch it all.

And no one is buying what Russo has to say. That isn't a shot at you, I've seen the report and find it hilarious and most people tend to view Russo as just off his rocker.

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Whats the point of putting people in shit segments and burying them as much as possible these days? Enough of the fans are very much aware that is whats going on and that the second they are off contract will be buzzing for them anyway

6. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information