Thread: Super ShowDown Highlighted Many Of WWE's Biggest Problems

Super ShowDown Highlighted Many Of WWE's Biggest Problems

While I don't think SSD was as bad as Crown Jewel, it was still a lousy, lackluster show little more than a glorified house show featuring house show formula matches, questionable booking decisions, more bait & switch with Brock Lesnar's MITB cash in and definitive proof that the old part timers just can't get the job done.

Both the World Championship matches were solid, yet unmemorable bouts. Dolph Ziggler is doing the exact same schtick right now that he's been doing for the past few years, the "I deserve better, it should've been me" whining and it undermines him. Baron Corbin continues to just suck the life out of the place wherever he goes and I can't for the life of me, and I've said this lots of times, understand what Vince sees in him. Rollins is too good of a talent to waste on a someone who should NEVER be anything above a mid-card guy and he certainly didn't need a screwy ending to beat him in order for Corbin to be protected.

The 50 man battle royal was just a random buncha guys punching and kicking mostly. Nobody was highlighted, nobody was given a chance to show off. They were basically just pieces of meat used to fill up some time, which is another major complaint among a lot of the talent. WWE has really eroded any sort of real meaning in regards to battle royal matches with ones like this and the ATGMBR at WrestleMania as neither match means anything at all.

Triple H vs. Randy Orton was a 26 minute snoozefest. This is a match we'd seen over and over again 10 years ago, there's nothing else they can do with it, nothing fresh to be added, it's just another pointless filler match featuring a guy who isn't really all that motivated and has been spinning his wheels for years and another 50 year old all time great who just isn't what he used to be. Triple H's best contributions now are behind the scenes as NXT continues to be just flat out fun.

The Undertaker vs. Goldberg...where do I start? Goldberg himself has stated via social media that he's embarrassed about the match, with damn good reason, as he's been eaten alive by both fans and even some other wrestlers, Matt Riddle in particular. Taker himself, while doing better than he has in quite a while, botched the Tombstone and Goldberg landed on his head. This was after Goldberg missed a spear in the corner and looks to have hit his head on one of the connecting bolts that holds the middle turnbuckle in place. Goldberg was also just completely gassed during the match, he botched the Jackhammer slam, damn near dropping Taker on his head, and didn't have enough steam left to do his part on the Tombstone reversal spot. There are rumors going about saying that the match was originally supposed to go past 20 minutes but that Vince was so disgusted that he told the ref to bring it home. Taker went for a chokeslam, Goldberg was even too winded to help with that and the match was over in about 9.5 minutes. I've never, ever, ever been a fan of Goldberg, he was lousy in his prime and he was flat out embarrassing here. Taker did botch the Tombstone but, all in all, he looked vastly better and was clearly in better ring shape than Goldberg. Still, I think this showed that it's time for Taker to hang it up as well and Goldberg never should've come back.

If this continues to be an example of WWE's product going into late this year, then I have a feeling AEW is going to eat them alive and rightly so.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The match was bad, but the botches ruined it. This is a prime example of WWE having zero confidence in the drawing power of its new stars. I agree with that opinion, but WWE has to take some blame for that. I don't think today's stars as natural as they were 20 years ago, but they are managed so tightly, I don't think they have a chance to naturally improve.

3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Didn't watch the show but saw some highlights of Taker and Goldberg's match. Taker's expression after the match said it all. He really needs to retire.

5. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So sad that a Taker match will stay in a -Worst match of the year- category. Really time to stop bringing these old guys back vs old guys. At least let them wrestle somebody who can carry them to a good match.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

7. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is what happens when you sell out for money. The WWE may profit now, but in the long run I wonder if this will hurt them.

9. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information