Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefly Funhouse

Firefly Funhouse

I'm honestly a little shocked that this segment hasn't earned a thread on this forum, and I'm well aware that there's a thread relating to Firefly Funhouse on WZ.

I'm creating this thread because I see so much potential in this gimmick, and I love that they're giving this gimmick to Bray Wyatt.

For those who don't know; Firefly Funhouse is a segment on Raw and Smackdown meant to hype the debut of Bray Wyatt's new gimmick, that of a jolly sweater-clad man who intends to teach morals and values to children while subtly alluding to a sinister alter-ego currently known as "The Fiend".

Why I love this gimmick: this has all the potential of being the next USA vs CANADA. Way back when, Bret Hart was living a double-life as a heel and a face and the WWF was wisely exploiting it for all it was worth. There's something more captivating about a gimmick that is both beloved and hated. My hope is that after Bray debuts, he plays up the kind nature of the side that's the children's tv show host. Let him be sadistic and vile as The Fiend, but give him some tear-jerker backstage segments where he shows genuine concern for emotional well-being of anyone he encounters. Have Alexa Bliss go too far in a criticism of someone and hurt their feelings, and then have Bray give them a heart to heart talk where he conveys some Mr. Rogers wisdom and let's them know that he cares for them even if nobody else does.

I see this as a potentially more sophisticated version of the Abyss or Mankind gimmick, where Bray will -- at times -- be at odds with the wishes of The Fiend. Make it so that The Fiend isn't necessarily evil, but that it's willing to resort to evil means to encourage the world to behave better.

I'll have more to say later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidercanrana View Post
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

Sure, there's lots of potential here. There's a potential for something great and there's potential for it to be a huge trainwreck.

From what I understand, or at least what I've read in some articles, WWE is actually giving Bray Wyatt pretty broad discretion with this whole thing. Wyatt has a reputation backstage of being someone that the talent really enjoys working with, he's more than willing to help talent with their promos and he's just really respected for his creativity. The potential problem here is when/if Vince starts to lose interest and decides to start putting his fingerprints all over it. Right now, there's a definite creepy vibe about the Firefly Funhouse, which is exactly the point as Bray is sort of a deranged Mr. Rogers; Bray Wyatt is someone who can pull such a character off and I think the chances for him succeeding in reinventing himself a little, for the better in this case, is better if Vince just lets him do his thing and doesn't try to run things. This is a sort of character Vince doesn't get, he doesn't really understand and he doesn't need to tinker with.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

3. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This and the 24/7 are the best things going in WWE right now. It could get cancelled tonight and it would have still served its purpose, holding our interest. That's a success.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Theres so much potential in WWE it's unreal.

I'm enjoying each segment but I can't get too invested because that would be foolish of me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Firefly Fun House has been the best part of Raw since it started. I'm hopeful WWE won't ruin it, but I'm almost certain they will. We've seen this before with Wyatt too many times.

7. Likes #AbsoluteUnit, EnviousDominous liked this post
    One of the more brilliant aspects of the Bray Wyatt character is that he encourages participation from the crowd, almost without even trying.

The crowd sings with him, and they create what looks like fireflies peacefully hovering in the waning twilight. It wouldn't surprise me if this aspect has gone way the Hell over Vince's head, but I'm hoping that part of the carte blanche that they're apparently giving Bray with this character is that they give him the time and space needed to come up with (hear me out) games and sing-a-longs.

We live in an age where it's cool to be different, and it's especially cool to be so different that "normies" scoff at you and glance in your direction with a stink stare so vile that it's as though you just took a shit in their hat.

I'm sure that Bray is working on his ring-work as well, but one of the greatest things about pro-wrestling is that it can make something like a contest of technical prowess more fun with some added substance. I can see Bray directing popular folk-songs (public domain of course), with the lyrics changed to promote or discourage his opponents. There's also the idea that he can do like Hulk Hogan in that he'll push morals and values down our throats, but do so with a more serious edge when it comes to the consequences of crossing him.

I don't think I've ever felt more creatively inspired by any other pro-wrestling gimmick.
    If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a show is either touched by God's mighty pen or Satan's diseased penis.

9. Likes mrluck_07, BestSportsEntertainer liked this post
    I have no inside knowledge as to what inspired The Fiend character, but it looks to me like it's a mix of Beetlejuice, Sweet Tooth (from Twisted Metal), and Freddy Krueger.

With the latest promo for Firefly Funhouse, we were treated to some genre-contrasting remixes of the Muscleman Dance song until they played what seemed to be a heavy metal theme for The Fiend.

From what I've gathered after obsessively researching this promo, The Fiend is meant to be some kind of evil presence that thrives off of inspiring your imagination. In the same manner that Freddy Krueger gains strength when more people are aware of him, The Fiend apparently seeks to vicariously persuade you to allow him to enter your mind. I imagine that Bray is acting as a somewhat unwitting vessel for The Fiend, which is why I mentioned that The Fiend's persuasion of you to let him into your mind is vicarious. The Fiend uses Bray to present a fun and inviting atmosphere.

I don't know if Bray is supposed to be a tormented or willing servant of The Fiend. Firefly Funhouse seems like it might be a parody of all of Bray's past points of interest, as though he's learned to embrace his mistakes and absurd moments by joining in the ridicule of them. I imagine that The Fiend meant to attack Bray and make him subservient by bombarding him with horrifying memories, but has (much to The Fiend's accidental benefit) created a willing servant that doesn't possess an ego.

Bray is charismatic in a Mick Foley type of way. Bray doesn't just sell for his opponents, he allows his opponents to clobber him. Sweat and spit fly off of Bray when he gets hit, because he apparently insists on getting hit to deliver a full effect to the audience. I imagine that there is a source of personal torment that Bray deals with internally, in real life and in the gimmicks he plays. We hear a lot about prowrestlers having internal wars with their "demons", or being influenced by the "demons" around them. This gimmick is especially brilliant because it finally fleshes out this idea, the idea of the demon within us that torments us being fleshed out.

I expect that the bigger picture to The Fiend is that he can't go away. I expect that this character will take on some of the powers of Doink the Clown where he can appear in multiple places, and that he's a monster that can't be slain. The Fiend keeps Bray as a docile vessel for his mayhem by forcing him to co-exist with all the aspects of his career that torment him.

If the WWE plays this right, which is to say to back the Hell off and let Bray handle this, they can have a character on their hands that transcends prowrestling. I really think that this is the fix that the fans need.

Sometimes I see vague similarities in things, and really hope to myself that they're related.

It's probably impossible to pin-down what's gotten into Bray's head, or what inspired the Firefly Funhouse angle in regard to his character's evolution. But I have a pretty good idea that I'd like to share.

There was a gang of writers in the 1950's that wrote stories based mainly on rediscovering American identity through off-beat spiritualism, they were dubbed "Beat" authors. Jack Kerouac, who was one of the weirdest authors of all time, founded this movement and several budding young authors got on board. I don't think that Bray is supposed to be on drugs, I mention that because hallucinogenic drugs were a major influencer for beat authors.

One of those authors was William S. Burroughs, whose most famous work was a book called Naked Lunch. Naked Lunch is... different. It's only vaguely a story about a main character, in that most of the story explores occurrences that are happening in spite of the main character's presence. The apparent meaning to me is that main character was supposed to have been writing the story as they were experiencing it, and that the world around them became more interesting than themselves. Yadda yadda yadda, it's a decent read if you ever have time.

William S. Burroughs murdered his first wife while they were vacationing (and doing lots of drugs) in Mexico City. The details are sketchy, but he apparently up and decided that they should rehearse for a non-existent play of William Tell, his wife complied and balanced a shot-glass on her head, and then William shot her in the face killing her. After all the legal drama passed, William would explain that he wasn't in his own body when he pulled the trigger. He explained that "The Ugly Spirit" had possessed him, and made certain that he wasn't being misunderstood as meaning that anything other than a foreign spiritual presence possessed his body. He didn't indicate that it was Satan or an agent of Satan that possessed him, simply that "The Ugly Spirit" entered his body and forced him to act in the way that he did.

I realize that Bray will likely never conduct a non-kayfabe interview where he frankly explains the origins of his character, in fact I'm kind of hoping that he never does.

I don't believe that there's a such thing as "The Ugly Spirit", but I find it damn compelling when comparing incidents that invoke a sinister specter's influence. I'm not celebrating the death of William S. Burroughs' wife, more-so trying to make sense of the messed up world that we live in.

I'm sure that there are other examples of a supposed evil spirit that isn't a reference to any Abrahamic religious belief, I just found this connection to be worth exploring.

12. Likes Jeff Deliverer of Mail, Spidey liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I love it, but its starting to get into the -"O.k, where are we going with this already? " territory. Now that his puppets are spying on wrestlers it looks like he might be actually targeting people now. I do hope the segments continue and he actually has Special Guests on his show, like R-Truth in one episode to where the comedy can be subdued for a minute and it could be really fun exploring the 24/7 scenario in Firefly Funhouse. The thing that scares me is that WWE tends to start a story, then scrap it for no good reason. Hopefully this one sticks around and advances eventually.
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Beat Movement getting mentioned in this pro rasslin puppet show. You know we fuckin' around, trying to figure shit out.

15. Likes EnviousDominous liked this post

Thread Information