Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE "Aware" of Poor SDL Performance

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WWE "Aware" of Poor SDL Performance

I'm going to be honest, I've been enjoying Smackdown a lot more since Jinder Mahal was removed from the main event picture. AJ is the right choice for WWE Champion, since he is the best talent on the blue brand. There's no hiding that making Mahal WWE Champion was a bad move that didn't work out as well as it could have. That said, I've still been enjoying Smackdown Live to a point.

The problem with filling arenas, at least in my eyes, is the price of a ticket. The WWE has tried to market itself as a family show but taking your family to an event could be an extortionate business indeed. I looked at the price of taking my fiance and brother to the last set of shows in Glasgow and was quoted over £200 for 3 tickets. That's crazy money. As long as people are willing to pay the price to get in, the WWE will continue to charge the high prices.

I don't think the WWE has a poor show on Tuesday nights really, certainly no worse than what is offered on a Monday. One of the biggest issues is, however, that Smackdown is totally missable whilst anything can happen on Raw. The WWE has tried to bridge the gap but the gap is still there and just as wide as ever.

What do you think? What can the WWE do to bridge the gap? Is there a problem there and what is it? Pricing, quality?

Currently Between Feds smarkmouth's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Last time I went to Smackdown, it was roughly $70 dollars for two virtual back-row tickets. In truth, I certainly didn't mind the ticket price. Had I more expendable income, I'd have gladly paid more for the show that I got. Tag Team Turmoil and a ladder match between Ellsworth and AJ. Not to mention an NXT taping which included Joe vs Dillinger.

That being said, I don't think I would have been happy with the ticket prices at the quality show Smackdown has been delivering lately. It's been passable, but outside of Kevin and Sami's angle antics (in which the WWE Champion is a secondary character to that angle), there's not much going on. One of their top angles has virtually no intrigue because it's pretty much unlikely that one of the participants, Daniel Bryan, can even compete in any kind of blow-off match.

We had a lot of moving parts on Smackdown only a year ago, now there's a complete lack of direction that doesn't entice me to buy a ticket. I mean, I probably would anyway because I'm a sucker, but I'd probably leave with a bad taste in my mouth. I suspect others are more likely to skip buying a ticket altogether.

3. Likes Dave liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The show has become centered on an inconsistent and uninteresting power struggle between Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan (via proxy's Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn). All those individuals contribute much, but the way they're used and the story they're telling is just dull and it dominates television so much that it squeezes the enjoyment out of some of those characters. Combine that with a stale midcard, a lack of true star power (Orton, Styles, Owens and that's about it) and a lot of people who felt their time was wasted by the protracted Jinder Mahal reign/experiment and you've got a struggling show.

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's the writing. This is the Road to Wrestlemania, and there just isn't enough in the way of story lately. They've reverted back to Smackdown being summarized in a few clips on Youtube (which I swear has helped make things worse). An actor is nothing without a good script though, and if you can't put asses in seats, well maybe turn in a script that isn't boring? I don't know. I'm just calling it how I see it as a fan. Maybe there is something there with the ticket price argument, and maybe the Jinder Mahal experiment backfired so spectacularly that they're still recovering from it. But I believe those things could be compensated with plot fans want to see. The Daniel Bryan/Shane McMahon bickering hour isn't that.

SCF Fantasy draft Mod 'Ravishing' Ned Flanders's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Give me something to care about. Right now it's the same crap every week and I just don't care.

Less authority struggle & better matches woukd go a long way in getting things going the way they should be going

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The fact that its Smackdown lowering while Raw has remained on average should point to two things. Either fans aren't really in the mood to sit through three different show tapings even if the total is the same as Raw/Main Event at 4 hours. Or they're worn off by the terrible creative writing.

Sure, Smackdown has star power for the most part. They have the best performer in the whole company with AJ Styles. A legend in Randy Orton plus Kevin Owens and Shinsuke Nakamura. But they're not what this show has been about since September. It's been, like I read in POST Wrestling if I recall "a Shane McMahon Documentary". As we watch a guy who's been written as completely incompetent and hypocritical by pure accident cause a ton of problems while blaming others. It would be fine as a side story. But it has eaten up 5 months of TV as the main story and it's coming off one of the worst World title runs in God knows how long and has affected other stories with glaring plotholes like we've seen with the referees and Gable/Benjamin and the Top 10 list. It's been very poor writing and fans are more than likely catching on.

8. Likes Wildcat66 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd actually forgotten about Nakamura...maybe that says it all?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Smackdown roster just isn't very good and lacks name power. Of course everything went downhill after they put Cena on Raw. Now all they're left with is AJ Styles and top indy guys and foreign draws.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Best thing they can do with Smackdown is have someone come out shoot on McMahon and Bryan for turning the show into a load of crap authority centered shit, when they promised that it would be about the WRESTLERS and not the authorities.

AJ styles, would make the perfect shooter. Seriously SD reminds me of WCW 2000. It's BAD. Raw has been GREAT. SD needs stars ASAP. Nothing has worked for SD this past year.

Even the stupid son of Angle angle turned out better than anything SD did these past 12 months!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I agree with everybody saying a big issue is Shane and Bryan being the focus of the main story, what I enjoyed about SDL when the brand split first started was they weren't on screen more than they had to be and the show was about the wrestlers. But another big issue is when they did the superstar shake up last year they really took about 90% of who was doing well on SD and shipped them to Raw, while the best that SD got in return was Owens, Zayn and Charlotte who are good but can't be expected to cover the star power lost by Cena becoming a "free agent" who is just basically a Raw star, Wyatt, Bliss, Mickie, Miz, Ambrose, etc.

I'm really hoping when they shake up the rosters again they fix the balance a bit, send a 2 or 3 of Raw's top guys who could be world champ tomorrow over to SD, add a credible heel to the women's division since Riott Squad is a flop so far and Natayla has no personality, and a couple guys to help out the midcard. There's no reason to have Rollins, Ambrose, Strowman, Balor, Joe, Miz and more sitting behind Lesnar and Reigns likely to not ever get the world title on Raw or in the case of Joe, Strowman, Rollins and Balor, haven't been allowed to win it because we had to have over a year of part time champs and now we're gonna likely get 4-5 months at least of Reigns after Mania.

Thread Information