There are some reports going around suggesting that WWE MIGHT be courting, interested in courting or about to court the reigning IWGP Heavyweight and Tag Team Champions Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks.

This stems from WWE giving the Elite a lot of promotion this week due to their Street Fighter showdown Thursday against New Day at the E3 Expo and from WWE putting up a 2006 Kenny Omega match from Deep South Wrestling on the WWE Network. Supposedly, the Bucks contract expires sometime later this year while Omega's current deal with New Japan is set to expire in January.

If WWE was operating without Vince McMahon making the final creative decisions, I think this is something that might have some reasonable chance of happening. Unless Omega and the Bucks are bullshitting, then New Japan basically gives them carte blanche when it comes to their own creativity and that's something that does not happen in WWE. There are stars who have a great deal of creative input into what goes down with them but, so far as I know, not even John Cena has complete control. While I'm sure a substantial increase in money would be required as well, I have a feeling that having significant say in their own creative direction would be the most important factor because you know, you just absolutely know, that they won't want to risk finding themselves involved in stuff like dance offs, being generic, smiling babyfaces like Lashley or being involved in segments like we've seen with Lashley & Zayn.

It wouldn't be standard operating procedure to give them major influence over their own creative direction with them having spent years with the company but the simple truth is that Omega and the Bucks are a special case. They're one of the very small handfuls of American talent who've been making really good money without having anything whatsoever to do with WWE, they're doing just fine and have been doing just fine these past years working for New Japan and simply expecting them to fall in line as 99% of most other wrestlers would just isn't really feasible.

Signing either or both of these acts would be a major coup for WWE. Like 'em or not, they're the most talked about non WWE wrestlers out there. I haven't been a fan of the Bucks but they've actually been wrestling quite a bit this year, and by "wrestling" I mean actually using psychology, telling a story, selling and not having generic spotfests all the time. Kenny Omega has been the single most talked about singles wrestler outside of WWE for most of the last couple of years and he's highly, highly devoted to new Japan, plus he has a deep and abiding love for pretty much all things Japanese. Just days ago, Omega accomplished a dream of winning the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and while I may be wrong, I don't see New Japan putting the title on him if they weren't pretty confident that he's not going anywhere anytime soon.