As the title suggests, legendary junior/cruiser/light heavyweight Jushin Thunder Liger announced in a press conference yesterday that he expressed a desire to retire to New Japan Pro Wrestling officials who in turn requested he remain until next year's January 4th Tokyo Dome show (currently slated to be Wrestle Kingdom 14). Commenting in the wake of his bout with current IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Taiji Ishimori, Liger stated the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Liger
Thank you for joining me here. I will retire next year in January at the Tokyo Dome. Yesterdayâ??s match [against Ishimori] made me see I have nowhere else to grow. I can still do it, still get in there, but have no room for growth. I think if I do manage to get the belt and still retire in January that adds some value in itself. I still train, still have that attitude of taking out who is in front of me. Here and there hurts but I can still go. But whoever you are, Inoki, Fujiwara, whoever, you have to keep getting stronger I think, and that prompted this decision.

I did debut in the Tokyo Dome but that had nothing to do with my decision. I said I wanted to retire and the company said â??ok, the Tokyo domeâ??. I was like â??WHAT?â?? Only Inoki has done that! [Reporter: and Choshu] Ah, ok, Iâ??m third.

What shall I do with the next ten months? I was Liger for thirty years, all over the world. So while I donâ??t want to call this a retirement tour, I want to go all over Japan and the world and show myself to everyone one more time. There really isnâ??t anything I havenâ??t done. This company has let me do whatever I wanted. I might not be completely â??full upâ?? on wrestling. But thatâ??s the best time to stop. I have done everything I want to do but Iâ??m not sick of it. Iâ??m still mobile, Iâ??m not a complete wreck.

A massive influence on wrestler's the world over, Liger has been wrestling for over 30 years, winning titles almost everywhere he went, though his greatest victory came in overcoming a brain tumour to return to the squared circle in the midst of his decorated career. His retirement, while anticipated for a little while now, leaves a hole in the veteran's ranks of not only New Japan, but pro wrestling in general. Liger's been slowly transitioning out of active competition for a long time now, really. He's scarcely a major element in storylines, is allowed to work wherever he pleases (which included a match in NXT a few years ago) and often works commentary at major events for New Japan. Based on his comments above, and what we know about Liger's schedule over the past few years, he will more than likely be working across the globe one final time before hanging up his boots, potentially even in a prominent story heading into his home promotion's most prestigious event.

Thanks for everything Liger. There will never be another.

What are some of your favourite matches, feuds, moments etc... of Jushin Thunder Liger?