Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex Tillerson Fired as Secretary of State

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rex Tillerson Fired as Secretary of State

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-...-live-updates/

So the news came early this morning that Rex Tillerson was fired by President Donald Trump this morning as Secretary of State, to be replaced (presumably) with current CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

This marks the latest departure from the Trump Administration, which has already seen the highest turnover in modern presidential history. I've actually lost track of how many people have left the administration at this point, which is probably good because, despite being reasonably intelligent and reasonably well educated, I do not believe I can count that high. Apparently, President Trump made the decision to fire Tillerson last Friday, but did not even meet with Tillerson to explain the decision or to fire him in person.

Discuss this new development, or anything loosely related to it, here if you'd like.

From what I understand, Tillerson seems to have been let go for the same general reason as the others: he didn't agree with or back up Trump 100% of the time.

Donald Trump runs his administration with the mind set that if he appoints you to a job, he pretty much owns you, your thoughts, your feelings and your opinions. Any deviation from that results in juvenile insults, often on Twitter, that sometimes escalates over a period of weeks or months before the person is either fired or hands in his/her resignation.

Basically, it's part for the course when it comes to Trump as president. If he's not belittling members of his own administration or political party, he's either shooting his mouth off without knowing most of what he's talking about or says something that large percentages of the population consider insulting and/or racist. Yup, it must be Tuesday.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The CIA director, Mike Pompeo, is going to be taking over for Tillerson, which has me confused because supposedly Trump has a severe aversion to the intelligence community.

The woman who is taking over for Pompeo is a big advocate of torture and lied to protect the torture program during the Bush administration. So in good news for Trump supporters, it looks like he'll be able to keep another campaign promise of including more torture in our foreign policy. This dude just can't stop winning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I didn't want Tillerson to start with, but Jesus Christ... This administration is such a disaster. Just give the job to Kushner and the CIA to Ivanka.

5. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's like the Trump administration is being held together with sellotape and used pieces of chewing gum at this point.

What's worse is that the Democrats, save for a couple of individuals like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, are possibly even worse right now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Double post because I can't edit, but I found a list of all the Trump cabinet that have gone since January 2017.

This many departures in such a short space of time is nothing short of horrifying.
    Last edited by Fallout; 03-13-2018 at 03:31 PM.

8. Likes BestSportsEntertainer liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Democrats could really use Mrs. Obama and Mr. Biden. Not Oprah or The Rock (if he's even a progressive).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
    From what I understand, Tillerson seems to have been let go for the same general reason as the others: he didn't agree with or back up Trump 100% of the time.

Donald Trump runs his administration with the mind set that if he appoints you to a job, he pretty much owns you, your thoughts, your feelings and your opinions. Any deviation from that results in juvenile insults, often on Twitter, that sometimes escalates over a period of weeks or months before the person is either fired or hands in his/her resignation.

Basically, it's part for the course when it comes to Trump as president. If he's not belittling members of his own administration or political party, he's either shooting his mouth off without knowing most of what he's talking about or says something that large percentages of the population consider insulting and/or racist. Yup, it must be Tuesday.
    I thought the whole point of having advisors is so they can tell you when you're wrong and how to make things better?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Its a fine balancing act having an administration that loyally and blindly follows trump's plan because they believe in his vision and a forceful dictatorship. I get why trump wants people in that support him but eventually it'll be a proper shit show

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I thought the whole point of having advisors is so they can tell you when you're wrong and how to make things better?
    Sure, that's logical. The problem is that logic isn't necessarily the most abundant resource in Trump's White House.

Trump is someone that's spent most of his adult life as basically the master of his own universe and he runs the White House like he runs his companies, or at least he tries to. He believes that he should have absolute control, he wants absolute control, and the fact that he simply can't do whatever he feels like is a constant source of frustration for him as POTUS. His advisors and appointees have to sometimes tell him things that he doesn't like or agree with, there's simply no way around that in some situations. Most of them have resigned and I'd say there are varied reasons for that. For some, I just don't think they could continue handling the crazy. For some, they were just constantly clashing with Trump over one thing or another and just had enough. For some, the writing was probably on the wall that Trump just didn't like their performance.
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

13. Likes Yaz, SD619 liked this post

Thread Information