Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE Wants Lesnar VS. Velasquez

WWE Wants Lesnar VS. Velasquez

WWE reportedly wants to have a bout between Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez at some point. Reports state that WWE has had meetings with Velasquez and further reports state that the reason WWE had Lesnar destroy Mysterio and his son on Raw last night was part of setting up that match. If that's true, then it seems like talks between the two parties are going quite well. The idea, or part of the idea according to what's been reported, is that Velasquez takes exception to Lesnar's attack on Mysterio and his son, due in part to Mysterio's iconic stature in Mexico and Velasquez's Mexican heritage so take it for what it's worth at this point.

WWE would almost certainly bill this as a clash of titans type of situation. Velasquez is someone who stacks up well against Lesnar: he's about 6'2", generally weighs anywhere from 245 to 265 lbs., has a respectable MMA record of 14-3, is a two time UFC Heavyweight Champion and a decorated collegiate wrestler including being a two time NCAA Division I All American in 2005 and 2006.

Velasquez has stated that he'd be open to working with WWE or AEW, which translates into whomever is willing to give him the most money, and, again, IF WWE set the angle up with Lesnar and Mysterio last night as part of a plan to build Lesnar vs. Velasquez, then his talks with WWE must be going really smoothly. Of course, if things go south, WWE can always say it was simply Lesnar being Lesnar, going on a rampage, doing what he wants, etc..
    "What Do I Know Of Cultured Ways, The Gilt, The Craft And The Lie?
    I, Who Was Born In A Naked Land And Bred In The Open Sky.
    The Subtle Tongue, The Sophist Guile, They Fail When The Broadswords Sing.
    Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria

2. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    No. The "money match" is Jon "Bones" Jones vs Lesnar. But Dana White wouldn't even think of that ever.
    Rhea, Bianca, Mandy, Tiffany, and Raquel featuring Scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    #RicSolarFlair you're kb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestSportsEntertainer View Post
    Reasons to watch Raw
    1 - LDs with #RSF and Trooper
    2 - Rhea in shorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RHEA'S ON NXT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #RSF'S WATCHING NXT TOMORROW!

4. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post
    Senior Member Jeff Deliverer of Mail's Avatar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I thought Brock hated him and said he would never work with him in WWE?
    Frank: Ludwig?!
    Goon: Drebin!
    Frank: Yeah, I'm Drebin!
    Goon: I have a message for ya from Vincent Ludwig!
    Goon: Take that, you lousy cop!
    Frank: I'm sorry! I can't hear ya! Don't fire the gun while you're talking!

6. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Deliverer of Mail View Post
    I thought Brock hated him and said he would never work with him in WWE?
    Brock will work for whomever WWE tells him to work with so long as they pay him enough. Money's all Lesnar's interested in anyhow and Lesnar is at a point where WWE no longer has to worry about Lesnar trying to play WWE and UFC off of each other in order to get even more money.

If they do hate each other, it'd be kind of interesting to watch their match turn into a full blown shoot. Vince would have a stroke while the blood was flying in the middle of the ring.

Conan Of Cimmeria

8. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by #MrScissorsKick View Post
    No. The "money match" is Jon "Bones" Jones vs Lesnar. But Dana White wouldn't even think of that ever.
    Yeah, Jones is stil way, way, way too hot for Dana White to even think of sharing him with anybody. Jones' reputation as a sportsman isn't remotely what it once was but White doesn't care about that and neither do most fans so long as he's in there picking up win after win. Jones has never lost via KO, submission or decision in his entire career,, he's fought 2 fights this year, regained the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship in the first bout and successfully defended it in the second so he won't begin to cool off until he gets soundly beaten by someone.

Conan Of Cimmeria

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    ...why would anyone want a Lesnar vs. Velasquez professional wrestling match?

Space Invaders Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Mario Bloons Shooting Champion!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds super. Can't wait to hear you all bitch about WWE talent taking a backseat again.

12. Likes #AbsoluteUnit liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    WWE missed the boat with Lashley. They could have built Lashley up and have him and Lesnar have an MMA match under wrestling rules in the WWE. It would have worked perfectly. I don't get how a Cain vs Brock thing can work in the WWE. Is it going to be an MMA bout or a wrestling bout? Most likely it will be a shit match, that will just be overhyped because "Cain is the one who actually ended Brock's UFC career" or something like that, and it will print lots of green. But it's another flash in the pan, just like any big thing WWE has done these past years, with no real motive or plan to actually make your roster and your product a bigger deal and be prosperous long-term.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA 2.0 View Post
    WWE missed the boat with Lashley. They could have built Lashley up and have him and Lesnar have an MMA match under wrestling rules in the WWE. It would have worked perfectly. I don't get how a Cain vs Brock thing can work in the WWE. Is it going to be an MMA bout or a wrestling bout? Most likely it will be a shit match, that will just be overhyped because "Cain is the one who actually ended Brock's UFC career" or something like that, and it will print lots of green. But it's another flash in the pan, just like any big thing WWE has done these past years, with no real motive or plan to actually make your roster and your product a bigger deal and be prosperous long-term.
    I think your exactly right with this being the way they'll play it. Which I'm not a fan of. Would basically be like saying "hey see this guy that beats the fuck out of everyone for fun... yeah well this new guy beats up this guy for fun"

I've not watched a single bump from Velazquez but I cant imagine he's tearing the house down and he'd be working a style similar to brock which i cant see how they blend together when paired together. The other problem being isnt Velazquez rocking a luchador mask now? He was wearing at the UFC in mexico the other week, isnt it a big no no to take your mask off and fight?

15. Likes mrluck_07 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by A11 View Post
    I think your exactly right with this being the way they'll play it. Which I'm not a fan of. Would basically be like saying "hey see this guy that beats the fuck out of everyone for fun... yeah well this new guy beats up this guy for fun"

I've not watched a single bump from Velazquez but I cant imagine he's tearing the house down and he'd be working a style similar to brock which i cant see how they blend together when paired together. The other problem being isnt Velazquez rocking a luchador mask now? He was wearing at the UFC in mexico the other week, isnt it a big no no to take your mask off and fight?
    I agree but it wouldn't surprise me if WWE intentionally passed on this opportunity with Lashley in the hopes of someday managing to land a match between someone like Velasquez or Jones and Lesnar.

Let's face it, even if the match sucked eggs, a match between Cain Velasquez and Brock Lesnar would draw more money that Lashley vs. Lesnar ever would. Lashley himself had a damn respectable MMA career but, let's face it, it was never with UFC and UFC is synonymous with mixed martial arts in the minds of most American fans whereas Lashley was best known working with Titan Fighting Championship, Shark Fights, Strikeforce and Bellator. Titan is essentially owned by UFC in everything but name, Strikeforce was bought out by UFC and Shark Fights just went under. When you look at the big draws of MMA over the last decade, whether it be Velasquez, Rousey, St-Pierre, McGregor or Jones, they've all been mega stars in UFC.

As a fan, I'd prefer Lashley vs. Lesnar and I think Lashley could've been much more than what he is and ultimately what he'll wind up being. Lashley is 43 and I don't see him being much of a priority in the long run, he'll probably come out on the losing end of his program with Rusev and spend the rest of his career floating around from one mid-card feud to another, possibly with an occasional main event program but nothing of any major consequence.

Conan Of Cimmeria

17. Likes BestSportsEntertainer, mrluck_07 liked this post

Thread Information